I Forge Iron

My new to me champion forge cracked :(

metal99

A few days ago my dad called me and told me about a nice champion "rivet" style forge that he got from a friend if his. I went there today to check it out and wow! It was like new! The nice little blower was almost silent when cranked and other then a little surface rust in the basin it was in amazing shape.

I brought along two blades that I had to heat treat so we could test out the forge. After about half an hour we had a really nice fire going about 15" in diameter. I stuck the first knife onto the "cave" and began turning the blower slowly. It was about a minute later and BANG!!! The basin violently cracked from the middle right to the edge... I was so upset when I heard that. When it cracked it even sheared the bolts off that held the duck/ash dump to the basin so that fell to the ground and hot coal went flying...

What would cause this to happen? Does it just happen or did I cause this by building such a big fire so soon?

I make a steel plate (1/4" thick) with an air grate incorperated. Thata way I build the fire on that and can pull it out. I don't like to hear about the fuss some have to put up with to clay the pan.

I wonder if the new store bought cast iron fire pots must be lined with clay prior to use.

Fire pots are a whole lot thicker than the pan on a rivet forges. When cast iron is only a 1/4" thick, differential heating can cause it to crack rather easily. Combine that with stresses in the metal from being banged around over the years and it's a recipe for disaster.

The good news is that it can be fixed and clayed for future use.

Drill a small hole at the end of the crack,,that may stop it at that point. Drill a pair of holes across from each other so youi can bolt on a metal strap for strength do this every two or three inches. When youi buil a fire build it small in the center and leave it going for a while to let the metal heat evenly,, class a fire,,wood or paper will do,,then slowly add fuel and develop a fire to forge. Bolt things back together and good to go...

I had an old cast iron forge that I used for years without claying; however the first fire after a particularly hard winter it went kerpow and cracked. I put in a mending plate and carried on for some more years. I ended up building my own forge using sheet metal so I didn't have the weight of the big old one and didn't have to worry about possible cracking issues later.

Thanks for all the advice you guys. My dad fixed it up and did what Rich Hale suggested. It looks like a pretty strong repair so I think it will be good. I will make sure I build a small fire in it to pre heat everything first. Thanks again everyone!

Jim, the one in the back is a Canadian forge co. It works on but we get a bigger fire from the little champoin. The fire pot and ash dump are extremely rotten and the blower sounds like a freight train running with square wheels. It's ready for retirement lol. I might be getting a champoin forge the same size as that Canadian and I found a nice 150 lb anvil that I might pick up. The old guy paid five bucks for the anvil and he's not sure if he wants to get rid of it or not but he said he only wants what he paid for it. Ill give him more if he does decide to sell it.

• 1 month later...

Here is a picture of the forge.

7E679916-7673-487F-B892-ECD374F10389-353
Do yourself a favor and add an adjustable leg under that blower arm>I have 2 forge pans that cracked and they both had the blower mount like this!.I think that arm puts a lot of stress on part of the pan. I found them to also be very tippy. I added a telescoping leg under the blower by making a "C" clamp from 1/4x1 flat stock then welding a section of 3/4 pipe to that with a section of 3/4 round bar that could slide inside.I drilled and taped the pipe for a thumb screw.I moved that forge around outdoors a lot so wanted the leg adjustable for uneven ground. The first forge I got with the crack. The second forge cracked when I was using it (Didn't know about claying them then) both of them cracked in the same place as yours!That's why I think that blower mount creates the stress that caused the cracks.