I Forge Iron

Prefab sheds

I've been through this whole thing for the past year...... Without going into details....
i'm sure they want a level surface to mount it on,..( meaning shale, or item "4" ) or it will be a lot more bucks for a foundation. Try shedsusa.com, see what you come up with.

I'm working on one now; 12x16

Not sure if I'll have a local Amish man build mine or order one from one of the twenty+ buinesses that sell them. I'm leaning towards the Amish built. I need a singe door on the front (side) and a double door on one end. Two flue pipes; one for forge and another for a wood stove.Extra heavy floor like they build for lawn tractors.A workbench along one side. A couple of windows, but none next to forge and anvil.

If you sell the place or change your mind about smithing inside, get doors big enough to park a lawn tractor inside that shop.

When you say a-frame, do you mean an Aframe as in all roof? I'd advise against that roof for a shop, they're more cabin/loft configurations. If you don't have any frame carpenter skills buying is the way to go or you can spend all summer building a train wreck.

S. has a good workable basic layout. Putting the windows kitty corner or across the shed from each other is good for cross ventilation. Ventilation without letting enough wind in to disturb the work is important. His door layout is practical. Heck, Mr. Reynolds may give you drawings.

The one thing I'd add is room to enlarge the shed, either off one end or better a wide side. For enlarging purposes I like a shed roof, that is a single pitch along the wide dimension. Then if you want to enlarge the shed it's easy to double it by building another single pitch roof shed with the high side meeting up with the old shed's high side.

That's just me though. Please post pics of what you do, we love pics.

Frosty the Lucky.

Check your local zoning codes. In my town a shed is a permanent structure requiring property setbacks, inspections, etc. Since setbacks are 5' from property lines and back yards are only about 20' wide tt's a bear to have a shed that isn't in the way all the time.

While you're at it you may want to consider how you may run power out to the shed. Things like a drill or a grinder sure are handy when you can plug them in.

Sorry Frosty I had the same question on another forum and forgot to edit this one. The shed will be a rectangular box with 8' wals and a 7/12 pitch roof or gambrel roof. Two windows will be along one long side and the 6' wide double door will be on the gable end.

Rockstar, I have checked with my town and I don't need a permit on anything smaller than 200sq feet. The set back is not a problem as the shop is 100' off the road.( I have five acres and it is a mile in either direction to the nearest pavement) As to power the shop will only be 40 ' or so from the house so I can run a cord until I can bury something.

Thanks
Daniel

• 1 year later...

I have a very Nice Amish 10X20 that has the advantec floor in it well insulated and has double doors to the side with a small propane stove in it it is more then warm enough and a small AC in it it is cooled well . they make a very good shed and well built for years of use /abuse I have had mine for awhile now on to wiring it for better use and function .

Sam

i ordered an 18 x 25 with 9' eaves, like one of those carports advertised everywhere, i did opt for a 4/12 pitch roof. made the level pad myself & put 6x6 treated posts around the perimeter (square & level) & filled with crusher run gravel.the 9' eave height alowwed for a 10' shed down both sides that i added when i could afford it. ended up with 900' enclosed. it took a little while as i did what i could afford.

the prefab shed was 2 grand. paid for it by hauling scrap metal, including my old work van that i drove for 20 years, to the Junk Monkey.(local recycling place)

I have a "versatube" 18'x18' which a friend and I put up in a long day on my concrete driveway. No ends, but those can be ordered.

I have had some hot fires in it smelting and melting steel with no issues and it survived some large winds and snow.

Ric