I Forge Iron

Fisher Frozen in Time

I found a really nice Fisher last weekend for future use when I become more proficient with the hammer and don't have the occasional miss. You couldn't even see any of the markings when I first lookes at it as it was covered with a really thick layer what looked like undercoating or something. Took alot of wire brushing and some castrol super clean to get it softened up and scraped off.

Gave it a wipedown with wax/linseed oil/ turpentine mix and its in like new condition!post-24357-0-16409800-1347150517_thumb.jpost-24357-0-26375200-1347150522_thumb.jpost-24357-0-39935900-1347150526_thumb.jpost-24357-0-08855200-1347150531_thumb.jpost-24357-0-72976900-1347150534_thumb.j

According to AIA the only age information I can gather is that it is a late model Fisher sometime after 1913? there isn't a date on it anywhere. There is a 3 on top of the foot under the hardy hole and on the side of the same foot there is a L II.

Anybody have an more accurate guess of when it was made?

Wow, is she a beauty. It looks like she was minted yesterday... and I love how you can see the line between tool steel and body on the sides of the horn.

I'll not comment on anything Fisher-related for fear of starting an internet rumor, but I can say that you're a lucky fellow to have found such a great anvil in such great shape.

My 1913- 300# Fisher has no Eagle. My 1907-150# has the exact same Eagle to my eye.

My 1907 Also has a L O(Square) on the base too...I am forgetting what Josh suggested those marks stood for.

My guess is 1903?

On that note. She's a beauty!!! Are you sure you want to use it? :unsure: Congrats!!!

I forgot to mention its 150lb and I can't think of a good reason I would sell it after looking for almost a year for one in good condition! Shipping costs to Alaska are very high. Most everything I found locally was collecting dust and not for sale, seller was in the 10$/lb price range or it was an ASO.

With knowing where it has been hiding the past years, I would bet that the layer you scraped off was a cosmoline type preservative put on by the US government. With all of the government stuff related to Alaska, it probably came out of one of the armed service branches. Fisher was kept alive for many of their years by their production for the GSA. Typical orders were for 50 to 150 anvils at a time. (Clark Fisher wrote the specs for anvils for the gov't. No suprise that they speced out Fisher type anvils).

Its hard to put a date for production on it, but I would guess it was made in the 1950's. BTW, I have the round stamp that made your Eagle in my museum).

Could you send me some pictures from all sides before you use it? And if you have any with the "goo" before you cleaned it. Thanks.

AI YI YI! Bring it to the October meeting please! I promise nobody will get pushy about buying it from you but you will get offers. That is a beautiful anvil, a definite score, especially here in the Great Land. I love Fishers largely for how quiet they are. I'll bring my Sodorfors and you can compare. Bring hearing protection the Sodorfors is brutally loud if you strike it with a hammer.

You be one lucky dude!

Frosty the Lucky.