I Forge Iron

Help to identify this anvil.

Hey guys and gals, my uncle has this old anvil and he wants to get some info on it.

It's defiantly in rough shape but it works alright. I used it to start out with.

Just by looking at it, it seems like its actually made from 8 seperate pieces. It looks like the four feet are welded to
The base, the base is welded to the waist, the waist is welded to the top and then it's got the tool steel face.

The only numbers I can make out are a 74. Here are a few pictures.

CCE4A454-50A6-4854-8A29-D62376764FCD-705

0EA6F55C-165C-420E-BD43-588953D28314-705

E194E60B-7AF2-453F-ACAF-4395589C9E7F-705

3ADBEC3A-356E-450D-A1C7-56737120EB51-705

10CC9008-07B1-44B3-9407-AB573442DE6E-707

Well I drag items in question to Quad-State as talk with him directly but I know a number of people who call him up and talk with him about anvils---but I don't have his phone number. Very nice fellow and always interested in the "different" anvils. That one's construction with a base middle and top chunks (+ feet, etc)
is an interesting construction as most anvil I have seen have a waist weld.

Wow I was going to suggest it might be a blacksmith shop made anvil as the size was within a good blacksmiths shop capability to manipulate and the build method is "non-standard". The marking in pounds indicates an American made anvil and I agree post colonial; but I would bet pre ACW!

If that was what their shop used for their output then it would be quite common---just like back in the 1960's metric wrenches were hard to find in American auto shops---except for the ones that handled foreign cars.

Take a look at some of the work Bruce Wilcock has handled in a not so large shop in a remote area.

www.brucewilcockforgings.com

Your uncles anvil and mine have to have been made by the same person.
Look at your third picture. From the rear yours has the flat at the base that is taller on the left and tapers to the right. The lopsided shaping with the feet splayed out differently match too. Look at the pics of mine in the link I posted and you'll see the similarities.

And they both have the same really high waist.
Proportionally they are very close. I looked at mine tonight and while the feet on mine are welded better, there are obviously 4 seperate feet welded on like this one.
Mine was brought to Oregon from Georgia. That's all I know about it's history....

I totally agree with you. They are extremely similar in every way except the weight. I sure hope we can figure out who made them. Mine came from northern Saskatchewan and that's all my uncle knows about it. Lots of people migrated here from the states and over seas but like stated before, the weight being marked in pounds is a sure sign of a north American made anvil.

I've spent hours looking at pictures of anvils and non of the ones I have seen are like ours.

Hi,

First post for a true newby.... I recently acquired a Hay Budden Anvil, marked 106 with a serial number of 200928. Any idea as to the age. It also has OOKLYN below the Hay Budden but the stamps are not really neatly placed so can be a little hard to read, but the HAY stands out. Been looking for lots of years but finally found one at an auction in Central Wyoming.

Thanks in advance for any help.

KA4993

• 8 months later...

Hey everyone, I just thought I would "bump" this thread back to the top to see if I could finally figure out what kind of anvil this may be. My uncle gave it to me so now I can say its mine :) that makes it a 5 anvil collection so far :)