I Forge Iron

Anvil repair welding rods

I have an old anvil that has been beaten up over the years. I am hoping to build it up and grind it down to usable condition for some people who want to try out blacksmithing and maybe getting involved in it. But I dont want my good anvil beaten up in the process....I have talked to a couple people knowledgeable in this sorta thing and they said I want to use high impact welding rods. What they forgot to mention is where I would find such a thing. Any help on that?

I'v had good luck using " CASTCRAFT " from cigweld to build up cast..... also used "WELDALL" wich are not recomended for carst iron, to weld a set of broken 60' stilsons that were operated by a hydralic ram with great sucsess Weldalls leave a stainless looking weld. Personally Id try the castcraft on preheated parent metal. My mate from the foundry uses rods high in nickle to repair some castings.

I'v had good luck using " CASTCRAFT " from cigweld to build up cast..... also used "WELDALL" wich are not recomended for carst iron, to weld a set of broken 60' stilsons that were operated by a hydralic ram with great sucsess Weldalls leave a stainless looking weld. Personally Id try the castcraft on preheated parent metal. My mate from the foundry uses rods high in nickle to repair some castings.

I like to use 309 stainless steel filler rod for TIG, on my anvil repairs and build up. I have had very good results with it. The Rob gunter method is also a great way to go although the cast and hard surfacing electrodes can be pricey. Once you are armed with the info and type of electrodes or filler rods you need go to your local welding supplier and they should be able to order what you need.

I have done a few anvils using 7018 rod. I weld a spot less than an inch in length and the pein it really well, that reduces stress and work hardens the weld. This rod comes in two types: one for dc welder and one for ac welder. Make sure you get the one you are set up to weld with. If your anvil has a welded on top plate or is cast iron youi may wish to reconsider this whole project and leet the folks use it as is.

I have done a few anvils using 7018 rod. I weld a spot less than an inch in length and the pein it really well, that reduces stress and work hardens the weld. This rod comes in two types: one for dc welder and one for ac welder. Make sure you get the one you are set up to weld with. If your anvil has a welded on top plate or is cast iron youi may wish to reconsider this whole project and leet the folks use it as is.

When you say beaten up what's the problem specifically?

I have just come back from the BABA AGM where i seemed to spend most of the time wandering around the forge area trying to find a radius on the edge of an anvil like the one on mine at home in order to achieve a particular form!

I hate new anvils with no soft edges, I have all sorts of different radii on the edges of mine, choose the one you need. If you want a sharp edge lay a block on the anvil or make up a square edged hardy tool. Mine anvil has a gentle hollow in the middle of the face which is just perfect for straightening and bending. Get to know the anvil's "faults" and celebrate them!

So my vote is leave well alone, maybe grind a radius where you have a chip.

If you must weld I have always repaired my anvils and power hammer pallets with 312 dissimilar metal rods, stick or TIG.

Note that most "real" anvils are not made from cast iron and so cast iron rod is not the way to go.

Pretty much only Fisher and it's poor cousin Vulcan anvils have a cast iron body with a steel face. Anvils without a steel face are ASO's and probably NOT WORTH REPAIRING!

Yep that is a good candidate for a repair. 7018 works good if you are careful when you use it, even if it is somewhat work hardened it will still dent easily. 11018 is a pretty brittle rod and might cause issues with cracking. Castcraft is good and I have heard lots of good things about its use,

I repaired a Vulcan (280 pounds) about 20 years ago using 7018.and sort of following Gunter's procedure. My preheat was a guesstimate. The damage did not go into the cast, it was due to someone using the anvil as a rest for cutting and cutting into the edge of the plate. That anvil is still good today. Don't know your welding skills, mine are minimal, but I used a copper strip to contain my puddle. Clamp it to the side of the anvil, weld from the top, grind smooth, lay the anvil on it's side and repeat with the copper clamped to the top face.