I Forge Iron

Poor Fisher Anvil....

In my eternal quest for a Fisher anvil, I'm watching the region like a hawk. I knew the price was too good to be true when I saw this one just one state over..... and I was right.

Wow. For less than $50, I might be tempted to try a Gunter-style repair on it. But......

493.JPG
495.JPG

I wonder if it was made on a monday morning after a holiday or the day after the Quality Control guy died.

FYI: Moldmaking was done Monday afternoon through Thursday. Mold were closed on Friday morning and poured once the iron was ready. Cooling all weekend, then open the castings on Monday morning.

I think that that anvil had a rough life and progressively lost its face. Then lots more hammering was done on it. If it was closer, I would grab it for the museum, as an example of what happens if you abuse anything.

NJ, as cheap as that thing's likely to go for, it might be worth the shipping costs just so she can serve as a warning to others. Of course, her abused state might depress the other anvils in your collection, too.

Ironsmith, we should talk about that.

I'm thinking about taking a drive up to see this one tomorrow. It's a whole lot smaller than I'd like, but at least it's a Fisher!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251127230433&item=251127230433&lgeo=1&vectorid=229466#ht_3131wt_1262

I think you are on the right track. Fishers had a nice thick face bonded to a cast iron body and I'd bet that way too heavy a sledging on too light an anvil could possibly affect that bond.

I have a large Fisher that was used as the anvil for a Blacker powerhammer; so they will take a lot *if* they are sized for the job!

I have an old, 1828, William Foster traditionally made wrought iron/blister steel anvil that has lost even more of the face than that one that I have on my display of abused anvils----not the worst one by any means, a very brutally handled Vulcan and a peter Wright missing everything above the waist are tied for "last place".

• 3 weeks later...