I Forge Iron

How Many Heats?

How many welding heats do you usually take to "complete" a weld?

Now, I realize that "a weld" is a vague term, so let's say that you're welding two pieces of half inch square mild steel into a straight bar, using a drop-the-tongs or equivalent method.

I've been watching Mark Aspery's youtube videos on welding and scarf theory (a speedy recovery to him) and I've noticed that he usually only shows one welding heat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucfZIjAdXwM

I've also seen a video by The Ironwork Shop that advocates at least three heats to strengthen and refine the weld.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jZDEtmDgxI

How many heats would be needed to sufficiently bond the two pieces together? Would the number of heats be different for decorative work than pieces subjected to twisting or bending forces?

The Iron Workshop is correct. To secure a weld and make it truly one piece, you need to be able to hammer the area more just like squeezing clay back together. If you don't, the pieces would rip apart if you pried on them. "Traditional" scarfs do not work very well for today's mild steel or A36. They simply do not afford enough material to truly secure the welds especially with most branch welding done today. You can prove this by testing the welds. I stopped using "traditional" scarfs a long time ago and developed the "blob weld" and "forge welded bundle" which allows me to forge the weld a lot more.

i don't think we can define a good weld by a number of heats taken. it may be of interest if you are new to forge welding to see with shop time and repititon that the number of heats you take has gone down as yoiu skills progressed, Brian mentioned something that to me is far more important,and that is testing of your welds. i have taken a cold chisel and drove it into the area and remember alot of my early work split right apart, i have also band sawed throiugh the weld area and found failed areas that to me looked good from the outside. i worked to see those poor welds improve and become right the more I progressed. One more thing that I believe is worthwhile in addtion to those tests is to hold the welded piece when cool near youir ear and tap it with another piece of metal. Those pieces that did not have a kind of ring to them, did not do well wth the other testing.

Lol, I think just looking at the technique,hammer control etc of the two vids should answer your question. My "theory" is make your scarf as small as your skill level allows, and use as few heats as your skill level allows. The end results with any steel will, with time be a very small scarf/upset and one heat.

Consider the alternative. How many times do you hear "I can't afford traditional techniques, they take too much time.". Then watch the first vid an imagine a 2' section of rail with say20 such forgewelds. Multiply that by three or more welds per union at say 3 minutes each, and you have your answer as to the proper theory.

I will most of the time, take multiple welding heats on a lap weld. On the half inch square, it might take me two to five heats in order to blend in any shuts. It depends on the star alignment, condition of the fire, how hard I'm hitting, and how fast I'm moving. I like to get rid of shuts, especially on ornamental pieces. A36 is a little recalcitrant compared to the old 1020 I used to buy at the steel supply.

Multiple welding heats in the same place should be sweating heats (no sparks). In that way, there is less oxidation and ruination of the metal. The sparking heat indicates that you are already into the incipient burning range where uncontrolled oxygen wants to attack the metal. If your finished product looks like the rats have been chewin' on it, you've overheated it. Not a keeper.

In the old Farmers' Almanacs, there were certain days for welding.

I get my scarf shaping ideas from Schwarzkopf and Harcourt.*

"Plain and Ornamental Forging" Ernst Schwarzkopf
"Elementary Forge Practice" Robert H. Harcourt

As others have stated, there is no hard and fast answer. Some years ago, I was demonstrating at a fair and was asked to do a private exhibition of forge welding for a couple of the sponsors. I made a few feet of chain (one heat per link) then donated the piece for a fund raiser and promptly forgot about it. Unbeknownst to me, they eventually took that piece of chain over to the wood shop and used it in an oxen trace for log pulling. The links stretched out so far that they froze into position but the welds didn't break - I just got lucky that day.

On the other hand, blade billets can go on for a while with lots of welding used before done...it just "depends".