I Forge Iron

$168 PER pound Fisher?

The auction I linked to in the first post, the seller thinks that 11 pounds is the smallest they made, and I suppose his basis for wanting such a premium price.

After poking around a bit, I found a 10# Fisher mentioned on this forum that went for $420:

http://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/27103-10-pound-anvil-drawing-420-on-ebay/

And Timothy Miller found one even smaller marked "00" on the feet at around 5 pounds:

http://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/23169-a-5-lb-fisher-anvil/

Are we sure it's a Fisher? The casting flaws around the horn are much more common in Vulcans.
I was wondering that too..... Maybe Josh will weigh in here with some input.
The one in the ebay auction is the same type, markings, and looks as the one Timothy Miller posted pictures of that I linked to.
They both have the indentation of the base below the heel also.

that's nothing, a friend of mine told me that someone asked him something like ~20000$ equivalent for an ordinary anvil, not even in good condition just because it's "almost 100yrs old". I was also asked 1600 euros for another just ordinary 50kg beaten anvil...

or, what about this at the equivalent of ~1000$?
http://www.okazii.ro/antichitati-altele/vand-nicovala-101-kg-a60402443

Back in Ohio when people give me the "It's worth a lot because it's so old" speech I used to bend down and pick up a piece of fossil in the limestone gravel commonly used in Ohio and tell them "this fossil is One Million TIMES older; but I will trade it even for your old piece of smithing equipment and just eat the loss." Old doesn't mean rare or expensive or else the gravel would be sold by the piece and we would all have mud roads...

Hello from NJ.

I sent a question to the seller yesterday questioning its make. He actually has no idea and put the anvil up more for the fun of it.

To me, it looks like a Vulcan or equivilant. I asked the seller how he knew it was a Fisher. He has no idea.

I doubt he will get any movement at all. And, yes, it is stiring up conversation. Thats about it.

Fisher made various sizes of Minums. 000, 00, 0, and 1 are the small size markings.

ooo = 1/2 lb
oo = usually 4 lbs(over the years they used different patterns hence different sizes)
o = usually 8, but sometimes 10 lbs
1 = usually 10, but sometimes 13 or 15

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

That anvil is clearly a Vulcan.  Due to the grinder marks on the side, cast pitting and most importantly the very Vulcan red paint.  The Fisher 0 is painted black or raw.  I contacted that seller and got no response.  It's value is about $200.  I have seen both Fisher 0 and Vulcan's and it is clear to me.  A "Clean" Fisher 0 is worth about $350 to $400.  There are Fisher 00's and even a 000.  If you find a tripple you let me know! 

• 1 month later...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=181072816749

Well congrats to this lady/gentleman... Consider this thread and the other mentioning these small fishers; "They stole this one.."

Pulse...I am not sure I am following your statement, but the anvil in the Ebay link was not a Fisher.  In my thinking, probably worth about $40 or less.

Pulse...I am not sure I am following your statement, but the anvil in the Ebay link was not a Fisher.  In my thinking, probably worth about $40 or less.

http://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/23169-a-5-lb-fisher-anvil/  - Other thread that I'm talking about....

Driving Logic: Horrible pics are to my advantage, because it matches up with the above thread's anvil look and hardy dimensions, except for that god awful top plate, as it's quite proud and pronounced... Then there's that little bulge  in the heel, which coincides with the above thread, as well as that old Fisher I recently acquired.

7368568f-bad1-41fc-81fc-a159fbfbbffe_zps

Then the horn has what seems to be a clear linear division, just like both my Fishies, there's even a dimpling void in the horn, from both sideviews left and right...

6874c1e3-6fe7-460a-8cab-230360f20add_zps

Not arguing your expertise as you're "The Man" when it comes to Fisher Anvils, just pointing out my impulsive reasonings as to why I thought it to be one. Hopefully I'm looking for the right characteristics???

.. The fact that it's not a Fisher makes me feel better about it.... 

Also that little heel bulge sticks out