I Forge Iron

I can't imagine what they did to that anvil...

That is strange damage; I've seen lots of missing face plates, (especially in anvils that used multiple plates for the face) and even anvils where they continued to use it without a faceplate and broken off horns and heels; but getting that sort of fracture down into the "meat" of the body is a first for me.

Hmm might be interesting to get a MatSci look at it to give a guess at how that happened.

Well the faceplate failed along the weld to the next one as you can see and even see the bevel. Can't tell if the missing piece came off attached to the underlying metal or not so I don't have to admit that.

Still trying to get an idea of the force and vector to get that failure and wondering if the wrought iron had a bad spot in it before it was forged into the body.

Not a bad anvil if you wanted one to mess around with---perhaps milling the missing area flat and building bolt on swages for dedicated work? Or a nice drawing curved die? Or drop it on the pesky roadrunners...

Looks to me like a shearing action with direction of impact originating where the step was. I can't imagine the force need to do such a thing in a single hit, unless the anvil fell from a signifigant height or it was used in anvil blasting. Then I believe that it could be possible if the anvil in question struck another anvil on the way down.

According to google they can blast things pretty high up to 300 feet in the air.

So guessing conservatively that once 125 pound anvil falling from 200 feet can generate (guesstimating a bit on movement after impact) 76524 pounds of force. So pretty much a 38 ton whack right on the step. I am no physics expert nor a math teacher but to me that might just do it.

Somebody who is an engineer might be able to give a better explanation and provide the math to support it. I just plugged my guesstimates into a couple of online calculators.

I have a theory of what might have contributed this type of damage. Look at the texture of the anvils core. There appears to be a difference between the core and the outer inch or so of WI. Looking at the break there is a distinct appearance change from facing to the core. What if the core were muck iron faced with a higher grade of WI, and the weld between the two did not take.

It appears that the anvil table may have been faced with the higher grade WI and then the plate welded to that surface. The steel plate and the WI stayed together held when the anvil failed. If the weld between the good quality WI held to the plate while the weld failed between the WI and the muck iron I could see this kind of result.

On second look it does not look as if the top of the anvil core was capped with WI but that the steel plate as welded directly to the muck core. The plate held at the edges to the good WI before the whole thing failed.

anvilfire.com : The Virtual Hammer-In Archives No. 602 - July 2009www.anvilfire.com/FAQs/archives/index.php?f=v072009.htm...Cached

Here is the Quote,

"My grandfather was a marine, (3rd wave onto Iwo Jima) and he said your standard issue marine could manage to break an anvil with a rubber mallet."

As a former Marine, I'm not sure this is true!
PaulF

I think Frank is on to something.

Paul, as a Navy Vet, i was trained in a Navy school (by Marines, with Sailors and Marines ) and later served under Marine Branch and Division officers. My observations would be that there were no rubber mallets issued to Marines. Perhaps a rawhide or wooden mallet. I am indeed glad to have Marines on my team. Semper Fi.

Mechanism of injury is an interesting study. If you have ever wondered what's inside of an anvil, now you know. Kind of like going to a crime lab or morgue.

And if you look *I* was the one who posted that. Grandpa Bill also told me that marines didn't shave, they just pounded their bristles in with a hammer and bit them off....He's still with us and I hope I can get his great great grandsons to visit him while He's still around and they are getting old enough to remember him!