I Forge Iron

Can anyone suggest a shipping company I need quotes 100lb LG

So any one have shipping company suggestions for getting 100lb LG from Atlanta Georgia(30318) to Pullman Washington(99163). I understand it will cost but would this be super costly? Anyone have recent comparable equiptment shipping experiances to give me a cost range? looking at getting quotes in the next couple days to see if I can make the deal work.Thanks Chris

Just had a 50lb mayer picked up in farmbelt in Indiana, custom pallet built, and shipped to terminal in Richmond Va. It was 14+/-hours away from me. Paid $850 which was cheaper than me renting truck and/or hd trailer, paying for gas, a night or two in hotel, meals and not even considering the stress of hauling a 2000+ lb machine for 14+ hours thru the mountains of wva and va. I've done that once and will never do it again, I used creighters and freighters. I have used them several times for large machinery moves all over the country and things went very smoothly.

Just had a 50lb mayer picked up in farmbelt in Indiana, custom pallet built, and shipped to terminal in Richmond Va. I used cratersandfreighters.com and they were cheaper than me renting truck and/or trailer., paying for gas,hotel and meals.

These guys find the cheapest carrier....

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=freight%20quote&source=web&cd=1&sqi=2&ved=0CIABEBYwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.freightquote.com%2F&ei=2psEUOvOJIarqgGs86TUCA&usg=AFQjCNGXFH5iyM0I8GoqxhSC7HOXtyrLIQ&cad=rja

Good Morning,

I have had good luck using Canadian Freightways, in Canada. They are Consolidated Freightways in the U.S.A.

The secret is to know your size of footprint. The weight is a concern but not as much as the footprint. They want to know what else will fit in the 40-52 foot trailer. They will have loads that are light and some loads that are heavy, they balance out to the footprint.

Always phone for a price-quote ahead of time. They will give you a quote number and they will stay to their quote if you measured your foot-print correctly. Don't exaggerate your load, they are used to moving heavy items.

Neil

I have had good luck using brokers. Somehow they often seem to get much lower prices. A lot of the trucking companies hate them because they are making money with no capital but I have had the broker get me trucking for less than half what trucking companies quoted.

I use freightquote.com as they will give you rates from reasonable to outrageous. There are several companies(brokers)like this, but they are the biggest. It costs nothing to start an account and they will sometimes give you some nice new guy discounts. If you don't like the price ask them to sharpen their pencil and most of the time they will. Your best rate is going to be from one business to another business. It would also have to be a legitimate business with 53' truck access and a forklift for loading. You want to be up front about the business as you can get extra charges tacked on if these things aren't present. Also whoever your getting this from needs to palletize it. I suggest you lay it on it's side on a bunch of old tires and have it banded to pallet. I have done this a number of times with success. When it comes to someone else hauling your equipment you want to make it idiot proof. If you don't have that type of business you could have it shipped to a local terminal or if you know a local business that would handle it for you then I would ask them.
I would only use Craters & Freighters or Navis if the person selling the hammer can not palletize it and load it. For a third party to palletize an item that size will cost hundreds of dollars so get ready. I use them when I need something delicate picked up and packaged well and when it is cost effective.
You can also ask about an LTL shipment where it is put on one truck and not taken off until it reaches you. With this type of shipping it can be shipped upright. When it goes the other way it is moved on and off trucks several times and it will be more likely to get damaged. And yes a Little Giant can be broken if it is knocked over. I have seen things break that you would never believe could be broken. Most things are broken when moved on and off trucks by idiot forklift guys in a hurry and not by the drivers in the truck. Also I recommend insurance as you never know what can happen. Don't let any shipper tell you you are covered as used machinery is only coverd for 10 - 25 cents a pound(do the math).
There is some websites where truckers are looking for loads as they make deliveries and don't want to drive home empty. This is called deadheading and no trucker likes to do it. You may have to do some Google searching for this. Try Freightfinders.com.
I did a quick quote and it was over 1800.00 with Freightquote, but I am sure I could get that shipped for half that. I am going by other items I have shipped or had shipped to me. The other big thing is that you want to have your weight either correct or over estimated as if they do a reweigh you will get another charge. Also the classification has to be correct as if it is reclassed it will also cost you an extra charge. I think it can go as a 70 or an 85. The lower the # the cheaper the shipping. Use the word trip hammer or forging hammer when discussing it with your broker. The last one I got was 75.00 for wrong weight, but it can go higher. I know this is a lot of info and there is definitely more, but this is enough to get you or whoever else some info to help in shipping any machine they want. Good luck!

For reference I recently had a 1200lb Upsetter shipped from Delaware to Ontario Canada for about $400. It was mounted to a pallet and there was a forklift at both ends. The LG is a little heavier but without looking at a map I think the distance is similar or shorter and there is no border crossing.

Chris without knowing the whole story its hard to offer much help. The actual freight is likely to be only part of the expense. As others have said you need to load it on the other end and it needs a study skid built for it at the very least if its going common carrier (if its loaded on a flat deck they will chain it and its not such a big deal) I have sent hammers all over the country and most of the time it seems pretty reasonable but I haven’t sent one recently. I shipped a 3B from here to Wisconsin several years ago for $1300 that was almost 11,000 pounds. I shipped that Nazel 4N to Jesse James shop in Long Beach for around $1200 and It seems like the 2B I sent to Tony in LA was around $800 (he set that one up) But again that is just shipping charges… If you have to have someone drive out to the site and load the hammer on a truck you could spend as much getting that done as the freight would cost (it shouldn’t cost that much but it could) On another note Our NWBA prez Bill Apple just picked up a 100lb LG that I think he intends to fix up and sell….. I would expect that hammer to be in the $3500 range but that’s speculation, it could be more or less…. Also Paul Estes in Rainer has the 100lb LG I sold him for sale on Craigslist for $5000 (I would talk to him and see if he is ready to sell it for something more in line with going prices) Or if you wanted a bigger hammer there is a 250lb LG on a auction in Seattle this week that I am going to bid on if it goes low enough…. I don’t really have any need of it I just wanted to make sure someone didn’t steal it…. If the bidding stops below $2000 or so I’ll end up owning it… I also have a 300 lb Beaudry that I’ll most likely be selling…. I paid $5700 for it but might take less depending on how I feel that particular day….

great info guys I am currently in contact with a couple brokers to get quotes. pick up and palletization is the biggest issue as I see it today, it may still be bolted down as well so a bit more complicated than a simple pickup. I am going to continue with this for now and I'll share more details in the next 3-4 days. Pricing is potentially very low maybe half of the ones Larry mentioned and condition looks top of the line so may still be a viable deal but if I can't make it work I will PM or post infor for locals

chris

guys thanks for all your help and insight on this. unfornautely the dream for me isn't going to work out on this hammer, finances just can't be done in the time frame needed. I have passed the info on to danger for his friend since they are local and spoke up first, hopefully we can do a follow up sharing good news from atlanta if they can make the deal work.
I don't post here often but read continually and love this site and really appreciate all of your suggestions and insights you have provided to a unknown character asking random questions.
So cheers and lets all find cheap power hammers :)
Chris

Glad to see that this hammer is staying local honestly. Nothing against the op, but if you can't find a good deal on a hammer in WA, you aren't looking. It may be a misconception, but it seems like the most hammer rich state in the country. The SW on the other hand is pretty hammer poor, especially when considering the huge number of smiths in appalachia.

We do have a lot of hammers in Washington, it's because historicly we have been willing to pay more money than in the south or the east coast. A hammer that brings $2500 in the south might sell for $4500 here so over the last two decades a lot have migrated... There is also way more smiths in Washington than most other states... There at atleast 100 power hammers withing a 50 mile circle of my shop, but that's because there is 75 shops many with two or three hammers

Larry stated it pretty well prices here bring a premium, his previous post exemplify this. And that is why I as a aspiring artist must look elsewhere for a "deal" or make my own. Now I would find it hard to believe if anyone found a potential deal of 25% or even 50% including shipping of the going rate on a coveted piece of equiptment that they funds permitting would pass it up no matter where it was, which is what prompted my OP :) Seattle with it's rich history of industry and shipping is not all of washingtion state, I live in the relative smithing and tool wasteland of eastern wa, even if I found a hammer in the seattle I-5 corridor it is 300 miles plus one way trip to add onto the cost , of cource miles won't stop me for "the deal" but you get my point. So here I sit trolling CL ect ect watching for my deal whereever it may be . Lets all find affordable hammers and make stuff! :)
chris