I Forge Iron

Blasphemous?

I had an old Fisher 100 pound anvil that had ZERO ring, just a dull thunk, but it rebounded nicely. I sold it after I bought my 180 pound Peter Wright.

Well, I worked on my Peter Wright anvil this last saturday and I have to say...I don't like the ring. It's loud, it's annoying, and probably harmful to the ears. I'll be wearing ear plugs when I hammer in the future. I want to be able to hear my grandchildren call me papaw. lol

W

A funny thing, My anvil used to ring liek a sweet bell, I like dit, wasn't a deafening ring, but a loud one for sure. That was when it sat on a stump. Now I have it on a metal tubing stand, and it makes a dull thump, COMPLETELY ringless almost. I kinda miss the ring. My stand is like the NC tool stands, with the filing vice, and it folds up.

I agree, ApprenticeMan, I love the ring of an anvil, but several years from now you'll be glad you did away with the loud ring and your ears will thank you for it.:) After 34+ years in this trade, metal working, I got hearing aids last year.:( I have worn ear protection (even had a pair of custom fitted earplugs) like a religion for the past 25 yrs but still the damage comes.

The sound is travelling through the two thinnest parts- the horn and the heel. Hold onto the horn and tap the face of the anvil and you will feel the vibration in your hand as well as notice that the ring is dampened. Do the same with your hand on the anvil's side.
The bolt through the heel is a great idea, all of that sound energy goes into moving the bolt (and I'll give it a try to see how effective it is). What I've done is taken two speaker magnets (from 10" subwoofers) and put one on top of the horn, near the tip and one under the heel just under the hardy hole (it gets repositioned whenever I need to use a tool :) ) . There's still a slight ring but nothing like the noise without them. The vibrations through the anvil are often enough to shake one or both loose but they're easily replaced.

• 2 weeks later...

Get rid of your noisy, swaybacked soft anvils and return to the land of Fisher. LOL

I suffer from frequent headaches and/or migraines. Quiet is good.

Better than that though is the stability of the Fishers. No sway back due to soft bodies. And they work just as well as any PW or HayBud.

I have a PW 150 and a Fisher 200. Love the Fisher, am OK about the PW.

Any body who uses a power hammer knows that it is made of CAST iron with a hardened face to work on, same as a Fisher anvil. Its a fact that this is the best way to build a working machine, its not cheaper per se.

If huge machines were made of softer wrought iron, they would sag over time, just like the sway backed wrought anvils. And boy would they be loud.