I Forge Iron

the smithy plan

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

that is a very impressive forge shop 

the hammer table is cool but IMO it takes up way too much space you could have the same tool well more tools really on about 3x3feet of wall space with some easy to make racks

and after working for a few years the table is going to be too small anyway for the tool you have made by then ;)

also like the stove keep planning on getting one my self.

I have enjoyed your  "growth" pictures of your smithy. You have used a good ethical approach to your design. But being not soooo far North....I think you might consider installing a series of fold-out windows in the side for cooling when it gets a bit warmer. Down where we live we start with windows, then the roof, cause everyone knows how hot a smithy can be, moreover down SOUTH.

carry on

I can not see your flue vents from the front photo of your shop, and I should.  Exhaust needs to be 3' higher than the top of the building, and 6' would not hurt.

Rather than enclosing more of your hood inside, try adding another section higher on your flue outside. 9 times out of 10, that fixes problems with smoky fireplaces and forges. Been There, Done That. (Burnt holes in the T-shirt.)

The buildings roof has a 2 foot rise. The pipe comes out of the lowest point in the back and it comes up 3 feet. So its 1 foot over the peak. And 12 feet away from the peak. It draws very well but when you first start it with green Cole It overwhelms the hood till it heats up. So I'm not for sure what the problem is