I Forge Iron

the smithy plan

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you dust the stump hole with Borax before inserting the stump?

I was working on building a set of shelves yesterday and noticed that the scrap lumber was attracting termites so I dusted the area with borax as a fairly non-toxic remedy that I had to hand already. The shelf uprights are also mounted on track plates on my dirt floor. (my shop is a pole barn made from telephone poles, steel purlins and propanel so nothing for the critters to eat in the structure)

Given any thought to putting one of your oil lamps on a pivoting holder so you can adjust it for what you are doing?

Simple one is to take a piece of channel and drill a hole across the legs and then forge a hook with one end that drops in the holes and the other extends out and holds the lantern.

That link is were I got the idea for the setup. The problem I'm having is with the 1 lag bolt it twists. And I tighten the back 1 down so hard that it broke off in the stump. Might try 2 more holes in each bracket for a total of 3 lag bolts in each bracket.. or just use a chain set up hooked to the sides of the stump..