I Forge Iron

Young Smiths in ABANA Conference Showcase!

I got to see Daniel strike back in Feb. at the Lee Bros shindig, very impressive. Also got to see some of his handy work all of which was very impressive. I wish that I could make this conf. but alas, my day job has me bound. I encourage all that can make it to attend and support the young men!
Karen, I will try to send you a little something to help with the boys while ya'll have them....if I can still find your mailing addy! Finally got out to the forge this past weekend, first time since I got back for ya'll place, and started using my brite-n-shiny new hammer!! enjoy the 4th!!

Nice Article about Alec. I can't wait to meet both Brian and Alec at the ABANA Conference.Thanks for all the effort You have gone to for the 3 young men to demostrat for us and the effect they will have on the younger blacksmiths as well as some of us that are more older than younger.Have a safe trip coming to Rapid City.

Gaylan

Early tomorrow morning I will be leaving for Houston to begin this amazing adventure!

Since the very beginning of convincing my parents to let me build a forge in the back yard just over a year and a half ago I have lived and breathed blacksmithing, It seems it is all I think about anymore.
In the small amount of time I've been smithing I have met so many great people and have received extraordinary generosity from the blacksmithing community, without the help I've received I wouldn't be where I am now.

Thanks so much to everyone who has given support, it's amazing to have such an opportunity!

Thank you Dick L and Thomas Dean for helping us help these deserving young men. I know they will not only make us all proud to have helped them along but will have pride in themselves too.
Supporting these Young Smiths who have worked so hard in such a short time is supporting the future of the craft and honoring those who came before them....Karen

I got to see Daniel strike back in Feb. at the Lee Bros shindig, very impressive. Also got to see some of his handy work all of which was very impressive. I wish that I could make this conf. but alas, my day job has me bound. I encourage all that can make it to attend and support the young men!
Karen, I will try to send you a little something to help with the boys while ya'll have them....if I can still find your mailing addy! Finally got out to the forge this past weekend, first time since I got back for ya'll place, and started using my brite-n-shiny new hammer!! enjoy the 4th!!

Tommy,
I forgot to mention how supportive the Lee brothers are. They have been behind Daniel and Kainon for a long time now. Really good guys and smiths.....Karen

Young Blacksmiths
I believe this is a very important event that will trigger the awareness of other young people and their parents or guardians.
And, that is if their youngster shows a genuine interest in blacksmithing, that under highly skilled guidance exceptional achievement is possible.

In time this event will bring to light what the ability of young people are capable of doing and will be viewed as another link being forged in the extended chain of blacksmithing history.

When the correct combinations “of the mechanics of life” line up, wonderful things happen.

These seeds of effort that are being planted now will soon bloom into the leadership within the craft for tomorrow.

I send you all my best as you all make your mark in blacksmithing history.
Ted Throckmorton

Like others my chance to meet the young blacksmiths has proven to be a refreshing event. Each of the youngsters are quiet and very respectful. Should any others see their way to help funf their trip to ABANA I am certain that Karen and Brian would appreciate it.

Myself I am going to send a few buck-a-roos cause feeding three youths can be taxing ...most assuredly on a meager budget.

Another observation yesterday: Although the THREE have not known each other their work styles are similar. Well they got that from their trainer. When they are stiking there is very little said between each member....kinda like some osmosis...they each know exactly what is needed from the other...nothing talked....put up the right top tool and the striker makes the correct hit. Then reposition and another hit without a word.

I hope everyone going to Abana enjoys meeting the THREE as I have...please give them a well deserved pat on the back for their performane that they will present. Dang! I sure wished I could be there.
Carry on!

Alec's mom had an artical in our local paper on alec`s journey out to see you folks, was nice to read about your work and see brian`s name mentioned in the local paper - not sure if ive still got the clipping. hopefully alec will bring a copy out with him.

was really nice to read!

When I got there this morning they had the forges going. Brian and Kainon were working on a sledge hammer Brian had won in the iron in the hat when we were in New Hampshire. It was long and had small faces. They were fitting the drift to the hole and I got there just in time to get to swing the big hammer and try and upset it. I also took some pics but may get more the day is not over yet.

Here are the pics, https://picasaweb.google.com/LDWynn/YoungSmithsDay2?authuser=0&feat=directlink

IMG_7111.JPG

Here are the pics I was able to take today. David Gaddis got a hammer out of Daniel today. David is a great guy, Daniel did great directing the hammer. It took a few swings but David got the hang of striking and was doing great by the time the hole got punched.
https://picasaweb.google.com/LDWynn/YoungSmithsDay3?authuser=0&feat=directlink

IMG_7287.JPG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJuhOQWp8Ws&feature=plcp