I Forge Iron

Young Smiths in ABANA Conference Showcase!

If a person could hang out there with Brian and Lyle while they are preparing those young men for their debut they would come away with as much information as they could possibly handle. I can just picture Brian talking to those smiths non stop as he watches their every move. :) He must be exhausted at the end of the day :)
Thanks for the photos and video!

Dick

These guys all have gotten new hammers in the last two days. Brian directed they struck. Brian grinded all three of those large hammers and put handles in them for the young smiths. That may not sound like a lot but you ought to try and hold almost a 5 pound chunk of metal on the end of some hammer tongs, then grind the faces on both ends, then grind the handles and fit them. He said he was through grinding today, he already knows how to do it, so these young fellows will be working on more than just forging. He did it as a labor of love, but I assure you thats a lot of work. Karens keeping us all fed, the weather has cooled off, everything seems to be falling into place. We are all having a great time.

You can see Brian in the background of this picture finishing up Daniels Hammer, while Daniel is directing the forging of the hammer for David Gaddis.
IMG_7284.JPG

Dick,
He is but you'll never get him to admit it...haha
He is having the time of his life, we all are. Brian, Lyle and I are proud to know them and their families who are so supportive.

They are coming along nicely, working out their demonstration for ABANA.
We are just waiting for the 4th smith now.

Ok Karen, enough of the suspense already!!! :( Who is this mystery YS?!? Inquiring minds want to know!! Would love to drive over this weekend to watch but the Art Gallery that I just got into is having their Open House and Ribbon Cutting this Sat. and they want all the "artist" there is possible....darn...

ATTA BOY DAVE!!! I couldn't see you on the face book pic so came here to see if Karen had posted a better picture. Truely a Great group of young men you have assembled Bryan. Pray that all of you inspire not only other young wanna be smiths but each other.

Karen, resending to you, hopefully tomorrow.This time with the correct "spelling" ;)

Good morning! The early birds get the biscuits and gravy!
Big day today, the YS will be forging a 5lb hammer purchased by Robert Evans. They will all sign it for him and are using the funds to help with expenses.
Thank you Mr. Evans!

Thomas Dean, Ted T and David Gaddis have all sent $ donations. Woody Woodard came by with eggs and honey and Russell Colvin sent all 4 YS a useful care package!

Thank you all for the support of these hard working Young Smiths!...

post-4954-0-78525300-1342097126_thumb.jp

post-4954-0-99096400-1342097581_thumb.jp

post-4954-0-31561400-1342097608_thumb.jp

These young men look like they are having the time of their lifes as well as the older ones. Thanks so much for the pictures I have been checking up on them every day and look forward to meeting everyone, YS and older at Abana Conference. Keep the pictures coming!! When do you all leave for Rapid City SD?

Gaylan Veater

Jana Gaddis sent David over with a delicious meal she prepared for the YS today. One of the best southern meals I have had!
The YS have been working really hard today and ate big!
I am not kidding.....There was a yummy pot roast with potatoes and carrots, seasoned green beans with ham, melt in your mouth butter beans, potato salad and rolls.
This lovely woman knows how to cook!
It was so great to have a break from the kitchen.
Thank you for your thoughtfulness, Jana, we loved it!