I Forge Iron

lets see your hammer and tool table's

Pug}{maN

I've been working on a tool table configuration for a while now. Given up on tool boxes.

Current mock up is a plant stand with barstock and scrap yard racks off of .....something bolted and hose clamped to make a rack for tongs, hammers and anvil tools. It works well for the hammer and set tools, though space under the parallel bars for the handles needs to be taken into consideration.

I've also got a couple of metal carts that hold tools, the mini gas forge, punches, wire brushes, scrolling jigs, scrap, and other stuff that doesn't lend itself to hanging on the rack..

After looking at a lot of pics of racks in other smiths shops, the traditional table with racks around the outside edge has a lot to recommend it, particularly if you don't have a welder.

I've been working on a tool table configuration for a while now. Given up on tool boxes.

Current mock up is a plant stand with barstock and scrap yard racks off of .....something bolted and hose clamped to make a rack for tongs, hammers and anvil tools. It works well for the hammer and set tools, though space under the parallel bars for the handles needs to be taken into consideration.

I've also got a couple of metal carts that hold tools, the mini gas forge and scrap.

After looking at a lot of pics of racks in other smiths shops, the traditional table with racks around the outside edge has a lot to recommend it, particularly if you don't have a welder.

post-182-0-05363200-1341507522_thumb.jpg

post-182-0-48029900-1341507537_thumb.jpg

I have to agree with Frank here, I found that my mobile rack ended up living in a corner and because it was designed to be accessed from all around it was hard to pick out tools from it. I do have racks on my forge and when I get around to making a steel anvil stand I will probably mount a rack to it. I have lots of wall mounted racks and need to make more.

My work bench on wheels. I built it originally for my post vise but it got buried in the garage and became immobile...not to mention the wedges would come out of the vise because it is springy. I work on the driveway, so mobile is good.

The umbrella is this weeks addition, and very welcome. We were cutting trees and cleaning up storm damage this week, 1pm was quitting time because it would be too stinking hot out.

I planned to take the table apart, but I used it regularly, in its intended manner, after evicting it from the garage. (yes the umbrella is awful looking)

Phil

post-9443-0-33307400-1341533498_thumb.jp

Phil...the umbrella...I Like It !!!!!

Was loving it this morning finishing cleaning up from the trees. No more standing dead on my lot! It was 98F when we quit at 2pm, it is 102F out there now. At least we had some shade to take care of the saw in.

Phil

• 4 weeks later...

Non welding hammer and tong stand: I picked up a large aquarium stand on heavy trash day---stout to deal with hundreds of pounds of water and fragile glass!

Next I ran 4 pieces of scrap pipe along it's top one piece along each of the long edges angle iron and the others off set inward a couple of inches from the edge. Drilled through the pipe and angle iron and bolted them together and had a tool rack that is fairly narrow and so goes well against a wall and holds about 100 handled tools.

For tongs I took a piece of 3/8" round stock, flattened the ends and bent about 3" of each end 90 deg and bolted that to the frame and hang tongs on that.

While the forge is heating up I go in and select the tools I need for that session and bring them out to the forge.

Now my coal forge has pipe legs and I have some 3/8" round that I bent down to fit in the top of the legs then out into an arc with loops so I can hang the currently in use hammers and tongs on it.

Most of those designs previously shown don't work too well after you have 25 hammers and a couple dozen tongs...

Me; I've outgrown the one I started with, built a bigger one and have outgrown that one too. (armour making uses a lot of weird handled tools!)