I Forge Iron

got some free stuff

Pug}{maN

nice , if i can get the flat head bolts out of the case ill be set....might just grind them off and drill and tap for new ones...need to braze the mount for the stand i have back on to, and that pot and stuff will make a nice masonry forge...

WHOA turbo, DO NOT grind off anything :o ...you haven't had it long enough to give up yet. ;) Get a 5gal bucket of diesel and give it a long soak...by long I mean a few days at the least! You will be surprised what will move then. Good score on your 'new' stuff! enjoy.

WHOA turbo, DO NOT grind off anything :o ...you haven't had it long enough to give up yet. ;) Get a 5gal bucket of diesel and give it a long soak...by long I mean a few days at the least! You will be surprised what will move then. Good score on your 'new' stuff! enjoy.

x2! Just soak it for a few days and see what happens. I would use grinding as a last resort.

I'm in the same boat with a Buffalo Climax blower I picked up. I thought it would be an easy thing to free the gears, but a soap/water soak didn't do anything. A soak in new motor oil didn't do anything. A soak in vinegar didn't do anything.

I'm thinking it's time for the sledge-hammer of doom!!!

Best of luck getting yours spinning!

Soaking in motor oil and the like will may work over time but diesel will go places that motor oil can't. I still contend that a 3-4 day at least, longer sure won't hurt, will do the trick. Good luck to you both!

As a side note, diesel also is a good way to find leaks in gas tanks, oil pans and the like...

I am with Iron Woody on the heat.it helps.also whatever tool you have to use on the bolt heads wrench socket or screwdriver,smack the bolt heads a few licks seems to loosen most bolts.if there is a nut on it,turn the nut not the head .the nut will usually turn before the nut.luck

The impeler blades can be easily replaced with thin sheet cut with snips.

The gears? Wow, that doesn't look good. I'm sure there's a good way to get shed of that rust. Maybe an initial attack with Naval Jelly to remove the heavier deposits and then on to something ATF/Acetone or diesel to get into those nooks and crannies?

i dont think im going to be able to make it usefull agen , so i might try to sale it to someone that needs yard art... :(
I am sure the stuff I linked to will clean it up nice. Have you had a chance to look into it at all? I have seen it work on some transmission gears that looked almost as bad as yours and they looked almost new when done. Soaks into small gaps like the shaft to clean that part also. No acid so the metal all stays, just the rust goes.