I Forge Iron

Kape

Hello everybody

I made this fire grate for my neighbour. He's a big fan of old and forged stuff so he really liked it.

It's made of 10mm square bars.

measurements:

width 80 cm
height 26 cm
depth 44 cm

Any criticism is welcome :)

img0786x.jpg

img0788qz.jpg

img0789w.jpg

img0790jw.jpg

Hes name is Ramses :)
img0791lw.jpg

img0797ft.jpg

If it is to be a working fireplace, I agree with Colleen and Thomas, Heavier sections for the grill base, and I would also consider making future ones in two sections,

the front, (to work like andirons) and the grill base as a seperate item to ride on the andirons,

that way when the grill needs renewing, it can be easily replaced.

Roses would not be my choice for this situation as they tend to be difficult to keep clean between the petals, however they do look good. Altoghether, I think you should be pleased with what you have accomplished

Thank you for your responses :)

I'm glad you like my work.

I'll keep in mind that if in the future I should make another grate, I will use heavier sections. Thanks for that.

About the roses, I don't think that they even need to be cleaned that often, because they stick out of the fireplace so they don't even get scale on them. Well, maybe the inner part of the rose does but then again it was black from the beginning. Also it doesn't hurt to take a brush and give them a sweep from time to time :)

Also John, it's a really great idea you got there about andirons. I'll definitely make the next one like you suggested. So thank you for the idea.

You can make a drop in grate that fits this grate, but has heavy sections. Simply make a flat U or V shape that is the correct dimensions, and join them together. Some supports to the floor and done. I have seen 1/2 inch (13mm approximate) grates burn out in a single winter of daily fires.

I really do like the fence detail on that grate. Top notch! The drop in grate would protect that as well since the fire won't tend to sit against the fence.

Phil

That's a very nice grate. It'll be more durable if you use rectangular bar on edge for the grate, this is more structurally strong and having more out of the fire allows the draft to help cool the bars for longer life and less distortion. A little higher off the floor is helpful for cleaning ashes.

Well done.

Frosty The Lucky.