I Forge Iron

Welder's beginers course

If you are looking for the how too do it I am going to start it here in just a few days with the basics come one , come all and add your input to the class and lets have fun and learn together and pass the torch to the younger geneation .

Sam

Thank you Larry I want to start with 101 for the Non welders and do a walk through so it can be arcived for research later on i am planning on starting with the fundamentals of welding and progressing through the different stages and types of welding this is the intro thred .

Sam

good to know we have someone who will teach the younger generation the correct way to weld.

we have a welding instructor at the highschool who makes welds all over the place and lets his kids come in and weld in shorts, flip flops and tshirts.

• 2 weeks later...

New Set of welding possions and Joints to be welded coming soon !

give them a try and post your welds of the types of Joints you have been working on . I'll help you correct them if need be Arc welding only we will work on the other types of welding soon .

Sam

• 1 month later...

Hello Fire,

Do you have any one local you can work with on forging welds ? you may even look for a local Blacksmiths club to join. I lived in Waxhaw North Carolina (on the SC Line) back years ago and got to work with a elder man in my off time . (retired Military Now) I have moved to Tennessee back to my home town .

come to chat at the top of the page if you have not yet , you can check with Glenn about NC to see if He Knows of any Smiths or there may be one chime in soon there are some good folks on here . I will do my best to help you out and get back to you .

Best Regards

Sam

• 2 weeks later...

Fire & Hammer ,

This should help you out with forge welding . It is the North Carolina Artist-Blacksmiths Association.

http://www.ncabana.org/

Also look here as it list all that Glenn has updated to the site

http://www.iforgeiron.com/page/index.html/_/articles/a0000-blacksmithing-groups-r75

Sam

• 3 months later...

This sounds great! When are you going to start Welding 101? I know very little about welding (other than a few forge welds) But I am very eager to learn to weld Arc and/or MIG. I don't have a welder yet, but I plan on buying one soon. Looking forward to this, it sounds fantastic!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Wonderful opportunity you're providing here!

I've been trying to learn how to stick well with a modicum of ability, but it's not working out too well.

Went out and bought a welding helmet that has the auto-dark lens AND a cool flame paint job.  My welds still suck.

Went out and bought brand new welding gloves, fire-engine red leather, don't you know.  My welds still suck.

Wear long pants or short, my welds suck.  Boots or sneakers, my welds suck.  Shoes match my belt or not, welds suck.

I've tried just about every combination I can think of.  Hate to think something's wrong with my machine!

Wonderful opportunity you're providing here!

I've been trying to learn how to stick well with a modicum of ability, but it's not working out too well.

Went out and bought a welding helmet that has the auto-dark lens AND a cool flame paint job.  My welds still suck.

Went out and bought brand new welding gloves, fire-engine red leather, don't you know.  My welds still suck.

Wear long pants or short, my welds suck.  Boots or sneakers, my welds suck.  Shoes match my belt or not, welds suck.

I've tried just about every combination I can think of.  Hate to think something's wrong with my machine!

HAHA I almost shot water out of my nose when I read that!

• 1 month later...

Hay Sam Steve's welding here I am willing to help when I can

I learned to weld in a job shop not much I haven't welded on LOL  :wub:  A to Z AND then some !!!!!!!!

that was before I got into smithing

This is a blessing for me as I am tied up planting now garden and fields with spring . it has to be done for me here on the farm . plug away Brother .

Sam

• 4 months later...

Hi samcro

i am a beginning welder and have newb questions:

Can i weld with a plasma cutter?  i noticed plasma arc welding listed in your intro.

Can i weld with oxy-propane?  i am told not, but why?  not hot enough? 

i am working with my low-end mig/flux-core rig and getting better, but i still look forward to more education.

thx

Mike

I am a begginer to forging but not to welding. No you cant weld with a plasma cutter. as far as the oxy-propane i have never used it unless you are talking about propylene.you can do weld with acetylene or propylene as long as you have a welding tip for the torch. if you try to use a cutting tip you will get to much pressure and fight it the whole time.

thanks younghammer

in looking into it further it appears you need a plasma torch with shielding gas and its mostly used for robotic welding...but supposed to give high quality welds like TIG.  if one machine could cut AND weld...i'd buy it.  

and on the oxy-propane question...i saw a demo with oxy-propane torch used for heating in blacksmithing...looked very efficient.  and i was thinking the same way...one system that can cut, weld, and heat...but it seems it might be good for only 2 out of 3.  if you go to the Smith equipment site and look at the oxy-propane kits...no welding tips, just heating and cutting.  general concensus is it doesn't work well for welding, but the story is vague. 

where are you in OK?  my mom is in Moore and sister in Norman.

Avoid the import multi use machines that combine both a welder and a plasma cutter. There have been a lot of bad experiences with those machines going belly up after only a short length of use. They sound like a great choice, but most times the experience sours people fairly quick when the importer drags their feet with a replacement or refund.

As far as Oxy Propane. Weld wise there are two issues, lack of heat ( max temp), and hydrogen embrittlement. The big up side of propane is that it's inexpensive, readily available and you don't have the withdrawl rate issues you have with Acetylene. Because you don't have the withdrawl rate issue and you can run propane above 15 psi, you can use huge rosebuds for heating. You can pump out huge quantities of BTU's to heat large areas very fast where with Acetylene you'd have to have a huge group of cylinders all manifolded together to stay under the 1/7th rule for withdrawl rate. It's also big with guys for cutting because it's cheap and plentiful. You'll often see scrappers using it for cutting for this reason.

thanks for the propane info DSW.  do you know why you get hydrogen embrittlement with propane and not with acetylene?     and yeah i have read many bad reviews of the multifunction machines.  I was thinking more along the lines of "buy a plasma cutter and use it for welding also", but not likely unless i can rig up shielding gas somehow. 

in the meantime i'll keep practicing with my mig welder.