I Forge Iron

44W Mild Steel

I have just inherited two 8 foot lengths of 1 1/2" square 44w mild steel. Would this steel make for good tongs or should I just use it for construction projects. Anything I've read thus far points to it being garbage steel. I'm a bladesmith and will not be using it in any of my knives. I was hoping it would be good for making tongs and other tools. Any insight here would be much appreciated!

Darren, Loneforge Blades

44w is the Canadian equivalent of A36. It does meet the specs for A36 but has a slightly higher minimum tensile strength. It is mild steel not a tool steel, fine for making tongs although I prefer 1045.

From what I can tell 44w is the Canadian equiv. of A36. I have made several tongs from mild steel that work just fine. Because its is mild I would leave the tongs a little "stockier" than if I used tool steel . Hope you have a power hammer or some stamina if you plan to draw out 1.5" into tongs though.

You can forge all kind of things from regular old hot rolled aka A36 44w. It is used extensively in ornamental work I currently have about 5 tones of various bars on the steel rack. It can be water quenched and get some hardness out of it. Most of the tongs I have made were made from hot rolled steel. I also make bending wrenches, light duty spring swages, scroll forms and bending jigs of all forms. It really is general purpose steel. To a knife maker it may seem like low quality junk steel and at times it can be but I do %85 of my work in A36/hot rolled steel.

WAY too much work for tongs especially without a large powerhammer. Save it for a large ornamental iron commission like large crosses or major gates or in small lengths you can make quite ornate dragon door knockers.

Handy thing to have on the steel rack; but you'd be better off in time and money mowing lawns and buying steel for tongs than re-working those!

Once those are broken down you can't put them back and they would be *very* expensive to replace.

I used tongs as an example...Just curious. I work with high carbon steels and was just curious of the suitability of this steel. I would cut it into smaller sections to make tongs of course.....Split in 3 for tongs. The steel will get used for something, more than likely a construction project. Just wanted to be sure it was gonna be useful. It was free and it will get used. Thanks for all the info guys!
Maybe a new workbench with twisted legs! :)

Yup that would look a treat and do some heavy joinery work for the stretchers and then put a rough hewn barn oak top on it and then get several thousand dollars for your "work bench"...

What I was getting at is that it would be a shame to cut it smaller---like having a big diamond; sure you could cut it into a hundred small diamonds; but---you can't put smaller diamonds back into a single big one and if you then needed a big one you would have to pay through your nose for what you once had to hand!

If you have HC experience just take some automotive coil springs and make some light, tough tongs from them.

I have just inherited two 8 foot lengths of 1 1/2" square 44w mild steel. Would this steel make for good tongs or should I just use it for construction projects. Anything I've read thus far points to it being garbage steel. I'm a bladesmith and will not be using it in any of my knives. I was hoping it would be good for making tongs and other tools. Any insight here would be much appreciated!

Darren, Loneforge Blades

Inch and a half?? Tongs?? Unless your splitting the material, thems gonna be some gargantuan tongs or you will be drawing out the reigns for....., well, I bet I get another knife done first :lol:

Edit: Sorry, I missed previous posts on splitting :huh: Edited by Dodge