I Forge Iron

Using large tongs

John, the Bertram foundry made some heavy duty stuff the CNRail Shop in Winnipeg (I was at CPRail) that closed in about 1990 had a few Bertram hammers as well as shears and punch presses.
Michael, the picture is a beer ad, my workmate in the picture couldn't understand why I was quitting and thought I might just want to go to a Mexican beach and drink a few beers instead.

Didn't mean to hijack this thread, sorry!

A big enough hammer means never having to take a second heat. :D

By the looks of it they are making something from a scrap car axle, we used scrap axles as material for lots of stuff. Its not that difficult but everybody on the team, (blacksmith, helper, hammer driver and crane operator), have to know whats going on.

Thanks for posting the pics. How long would a fellow have to sweep floors, empty trash cans and such before they let him squirt a little oil on such equipment? Like you say Jim, the crew has to know each other and the job very well. We were like that on the drill crew, we'd go days without saying anything about the job, it drove visiting white hats nuts, they never knew what was going on. It usually took us about two years to get a new guy trained up so they weren't more hazard than help. It was usually easier training someone who'd never worked on a drill than an "experienced driller" it's so much harder to untrain someone before you train them.

Frosty The Lucky.

Several billets up at heat 24/7 so you make a repair or just pinch off a wrench? Limiting the amount of direction needed to orchestrate a job is key to safety and proditivity but, working solely can lend itself to spontaneous creation. Its also hard to tell someone which way to drive when your not sure where your going :wacko: What size is an axle anyhows?

There is a plant near me that casts up to 3' x 20' billets of titanium, and then reheats and forges them out with an automated rotary hammer, or a press. Makes the whole building shake. Unfortunately, no photos allowed.

The closest a human gets to the work is transporting and holding the work under the hammers in a specialized fork lift, which has rotating clamps (tongs) instead of forks.