I Forge Iron

How to make a split Cross?

Hello everyone,

My name is Joseph but most call me Joe. Ive been surfing this site off and on since 2009 But really didnt start smithing till march of this year. I like to read up on stuff I'm about to try to make. But this time i can't find anything on how to make a split cross. I've kinda got an idea if the name has any meaning to the construction. Can someone help me out here a little. Even just a nudge in the right direction would help lots.

I would like to add that if it wasn't for the recent passing of a friend, i would try to figure this out for myself. But the burial is monday and i would like to place the cross as a temporary marker till the tombstone is carved.

Joe

Here are some dimensions and cuts that I posted a while back. I have another that I did and will post, but the best tutorial was done by Fieryfurnace. I'll see if I can find it and re-post. Meanwhile, you search the site looking for it. While you are looking you will encounter many different ways and many different opinions. The best way to get a quick answer here is to do a little research on your own. You will learn more and also learn to navigate the site easier.

cross.bmp

Wow thanks all thats just what i was looking for. And do try to use the search but i type in split cross and it tell me that some of the words i've typed only have 4 letters. So then i try google and was lead to dead ends.

so again i say thank you for the help.

joe

I love this site and the great people who respond in such a quick and honorable fashion to assist a fellow craftsman who asks for help!

I take my hat off to you all! - On second thought I had better not.
I may get my bald head sunburned! - But you get the idea! – Thank You!

RangerJ03 aka) Joseph - Just a thought:
To get a quick idea of how to cut, fold and forge the cross.
I suggest that you obtain some clay (yes, kids play clay will work in a pinch) and then do a few practice cuts and folds to form the cross.
It will give you a hands-on idea of what you are going to be doing with hot steel.
The best of forging to you!

I love this site and the great people who respond in such a quick and honorable fashion to assist a fellow craftsman who asks for help!

I take my hat off to you all! - On second thought I had better not.
I may get my bald head sunburned! - But you get the idea! – Thank You!

RangerJ03 aka) Joseph - Just a thought:
To get a quick idea of how to cut, fold and forge the cross.
I suggest that you obtain some clay (yes, kids play clay will work in a pinch) and then do a few practice cuts and folds to form the cross.
It will give you a hands-on idea of what you are going to be doing with hot steel.
The best of forging to you!

Thanks for the tip Ted. You know Ive always thought that working hot meteal was like working clay but with diferent tools. I took a few years of ceramics in high school.

Oh and man was i way off base one how they were made i was think a long slit down the center of a bar. open it up and hammer down then draw out the arms of the cross from the slit. I dont know if I made alot sence there but i think im going to go with the tryed and true method.

• 4 months later...

Well done on your first Fredrich's(sp?) cross Joe. I don't know what the real name is but this is another common name. I don't think it's going to take you a lot of practice to make a cross that will grace his resting place. May I add him to my prayer list?

Modeling clay works really well, the stiffest or refrigerated works best for me. With a little practice you can develop patterns for pattern welded steel as well as developing forging techniques. It's really handy seeing as iron/steel is a thermal plastic too, you just don't want to touch it when it's soft. Use your smithing tools on the clay, just don't hit it very hard. Eh?

Oh, Ted: While tipping your hat may be your intent I think most folk think you're flashing them. <grin>

Frosty the Lucky.