I Forge Iron

A little grease lamp...

Thanx for the comments! I've not tried it with grease. Wife using a candle in it. Glen: I'm no expert but from what I've read a betty (english corruption for german word for "better") lamp has a cover. Thus it is a "better" lamp than the open crusie lamp. Have also seen open top lamp called a "slut" lamp. Slut is an old word for mud. Makes sense when you think of what the mixture of various animal fats, waxes and oils being burned probably looked like!

Nice lamp whatever it's called Bart. I'd make Deb one but I get all antsy with something like that burning in the house, earthquakes aren't uncommon at all. Still. . .

Frosty The Lucky.

Nice lamp whatever it's called Bart. I'd make Deb one but I get all antsy with something like that burning in the house, earthquakes aren't uncommon at all. Still. . .

Yeah, dont like open flames outside the forge or campfire...wife is using one of those battery powered led tea lights in hers. A little of the old...a little of the new i guess! Bart

Frosty The Lucky.

Nice work!!! I like the swivel. But...... how does it work as a lamp?

The pan is filled with bacon grease, animal tallow, or wax. A wick, usually made of rolled cotton cloth or string, is rubbed with the fuel and placed in the pan. When the fuse is lit, the fuel is liquefied, and as it burns, more is drawn up from the reservoir through capillary action.

The pan is filled with bacon grease, animal tallow, or wax. A wick, usually made of rolled cotton cloth or string, is rubbed with the fuel and placed in the pan. When the fuse is lit, the fuel is liquefied, and as it burns, more is drawn up from the reservoir through capillary action.

What he said :-) bart

I like the lamp, and the hammer. Did you forge the head of the spike into the ball on the hammer?

Thanks on both accounts! Forging the head of the spike into the head of the hammer would seem the logical approach, right? But I had difficulties when I tried that...folding, quilting, cold shuts, etc. In the end, I just cut the head off, upset the end. Then forged a ball on the end. The spike was held in the vise while I shaped the head. Hope that made sense. bart