I Forge Iron

Thomas Dean at Brian Brazeals

I went to Brians this morning and took some pics. Thomas Dean arrived there yesterday and he had made a hot cut, a hammer, and punches. I only got to visit a moment yesterday but Brian said he was striking well enough that he was able to make a bigger hammer as his first hammer.
This morning they made some tools. I took pictures of him making two different hot cuts from 1" round 5160. He even had Thomas doing some directing while Brian was striking. I got some good pics. It was a pleasure meeting Thomas and his wife. They are some fine people.

Here are the pics. https://picasaweb.go...feat=directlink

Whew! Just got home and unhooked the camper and unloaded the inside of truck. Will unload the anvil and tools and stuff from Brian's TOMORROW! Just a word of caution for those planning to take a class from Brian....if it is 8:40p.m. and you just finished supper and Brian asks; "ya wanna forge somemore?" be careful how you answer!!! We turned the lights off at 1:00ish this morning! GREAT time, thank Brian and Karen. And Thank you Lyle for the photo work you did...and I was wrong about those few pics I mentioned this morning.

I might not have come away with as many tools and other stuff as some folks have...but I only did 2 days, the KNOWLEDGE I gained is immeasurable.
The tools I got to make are very special, getting to make them and learning not only the "how-to's" but more importantly the "why this way" is priceless.
I did make a hot cut hardie that will fit any of my anvils, a large hammer-head weight of 3.5#, 1 handled straight hot cut, 1 handled side hot cut, several hand chisels, punches, eye punch, and nose punch. With ideas for others tools and elements. ALSO!!!! ABSOLUTELY the BEST flux in the world!! You will not believe how low a heat you can use to stick a good weld! Contact Brian for more details!

Also, If you are thinking of investing in a class I strongly suggest that you know what you want to do and learn. Brian will tell you this is YOUR class and he will do anything you ask...and go as long as you want. He will teach you to make any and all the tools you want and any and all the elements you want. His favorite thing to ask ...well one of his favorite... is " Now what do you want to do?" so have a plan. You will love it, I know I did.

I would like to express my thoughts of how privileged and fortunate I believe we are as a blacksmithing community (worldwide).
That is because we have become beneficiaries who have prospered when a blacksmith turned teacher/ tutor (Brian), joined by his wife (Karen), and then teamed up with a highly skilled blacksmith/photographer named LDW who now provides us with demonstrations of sound fundamental basic and advanced forging skills.

Each time a student goes through the discovery process that is directed and guided by Brian, and then recorded by LDW; “that what was thought to have been lost at one time is brought to the surface and recorded”.

This team combination has become a “Win/Win” situation for all of us, one that many of us have come to look forward to in order to absorb every nuance of the craft that is revealed.

Thomas, Congratulations!

My best to all of you;
Ted Throckmorton

What is this about the "Best flux"
Great job Thomas and good point about having a plan when you go there. You must be exhausted after the two days forging and the drive, I would have to take a day or two of rest for sure.
And thanks To Brian for sharing this, just got back from the CBA spring conference and I talked to several people that sure do miss having you around.
And thanks Lyle for the outstanding photos

The flux allows you to weld and a rediculously low temp. Brian heated 2 pieces then appied the flux, heated again not even getting to 'critical' heat, not even bright red the took to anvil and 'tacked' together with a light blow. Reheated to a bright red and then to anvil and made the weld. I'm thinking, yea, right, easy for YOU....so I tried it, and it does work. Simply mind boggeling. Hopefully Brian and Lyle will get together and do a vid on it and then place on YouTube.

Brian is only about 4 1/2hrs from us so it wasn't too bad....we kinda slept in on Friday and then loaded up, visited with Brian n Karen, and got away early afternoon. My stomach muscle were sore from striking with the BIG hammer= 15#er but other than that not too bad. To gain the most from your class Have a list...a LONG list of what you want to do and learn before you take a class. You will be overwelmed if not as there is so much he will teach you. Brian doesn't wear a watch, no clock in the shop and he really doesn't care about the time! He will start when you want and stay as long as you want. I enjoyed my time there and once home I took my notebook and recorded as much info from the class as I could. There are a few things that I will either have to contact him about or search here on IFI. I'm real bad about note taking notes "in the heat of the moment".

And Lyle is great. He took all those pic, cropped, edited, and whatever else then posted. I don't think he was there 2 hrs, if that. Great guy to be around and a great smith in his own right!

Nice job Thomas Dean ,but what i don't understand is why you are not there every weekend. Hop, skip, and a jump for you. Thomas, you are quite right about the Iron Mountain flux. Got some from Daniel Riffe after he got back from Brian's. Went to the shop the next day, lit a gas forge, folded a piece of 1/2" round back on itself to make a beaver tail, got it warm, dusted it with flux, brought it up to a bright orange, one tap and I could tell it was stuck. Dusted again and up to just barely yellow to finish tapering the forge weld I just made. Damnest thing I've ever seen. Not even close to a welding heat. Will someone explain that one for me. Can't wait till some of you others have a chance to try this flux. Other blacksmiths reaction to this flux will be a thread in itself.
Again, thanks to Brian and Lyle and Karen for allowing us all to live vicariously through the photos and vids of their effort to teach and promote the art of blacksmithing. A gift you cannot buy.
How does a flatter warrant a photo all by itself? When it is as beautiful as the tools that William Bastas makes. The 2 on the side of the flatter is actually a touchdate, with the zero and ones barely visible. That is also what distinguishes Brian's tools. They are beautiful to look at.....................and functional.
Surface area contact
As few heats as possible
Forge to finish
Piece of cake
Keep up the good work Brian, Alan Lee

Brian and LDW are demonstrating at ABANA this year and I expect the bleachers to be full
Brian and his Brother Ed were on the program at ABANA Seatle and when I was looking at the program to see who I should watch it said they were making animals in flat stock so I went elsewhere to see someone else because what could I learn from that.
A couple of years ago I got talked into driving down to Louisiana for the LAMA conference. Brian and LDW were the demonstrators and I learned what a mistake I make by not watching them at Seattle and I have been folloowing them to conferences around the US ever since.
So learn from my past mistake and see them forge anywhere you can.

Alan, You know it's the same distance to your place from here! ya want me pesterin you every weekend!?!?
Also; 'You want it perfect then make it perfect'
'Now what do you want to do'

With that flux I may never have another piece of scrap! shoot, just weld it to another piece and carry on...well, maybe not, but you could!

Thanks everyone ya,ll are great. I have enjoyed learning from Brian for the last couple years and still learn something everyday. Roger we really appreciate your support. Everyone else too. Anyone can do the forging Brian shares with us. You have to attempt it to believe it. Once you understand the process you have the rest of your life to practice it.

Russel Colvin gave Lyle and I each some of this "Iron Mountain Flux" about a year ago. He asked if I ever had any problem forge welding. I told him, no, and that I usually use borax, but I've tried all different kinds of flux. Well, it sat there by all the other fluxes that I have for a year until I had a day to just play. I started by welding some branches up like I've done alot of with a technique I came up with along time ago, the blob weld is what I call it. Anyway, I noticed that the join welded when I tapped it shut, so when I went to weld the next branch on after doing the first weld, I did something I've never done nor seen done before. I fluxed the two pieces and lined them up and tacked them together with one hit then heated them up and finished the weld as normal. I was surprised that I could tack them together at such a low heat, so I started to do other things that I had never done nor seen done before. I could go on and on, but I have work to do. I will make a video of this and I will be including this in my demonstations this year. I've shown it only to a few students so far, and most of them have some of it now. Just like Alan Lee got some from Daniel Riffe, you are going to be seeing a lot more of this in the very near future. It works like nothing else out there that I've seen!

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to express my thoughts of how privileged and fortunate I believe we are as a blacksmithing community (worldwide).
That is because we have become beneficiaries who have prospered when a blacksmith turned teacher/ tutor (Brian), joined by his wife (Karen), and then teamed up with a highly skilled blacksmith/photographer named LDW who now provides us with demonstrations of sound fundamental basic and advanced forging skills.

Each time a student goes through the discovery process that is directed and guided by Brian, and then recorded by LDW; “that what was thought to have been lost at one time is brought to the surface and recorded”.

This team combination has become a “Win/Win” situation for all of us, one that many of us have come to look forward to in order to absorb every nuance of the craft that is revealed.

Thomas, Congratulations!

My best to all of you;
Ted Throckmorton

X2

Bryan did an excellent this past weekend for the Miss Forge Council on forge welding and using the magic flux. While there we tried every way possible to fail then as usual Brian would step back into the picture and show us "Do it this way...easy!" Of course Lyle was there with his evidence machine while a good time was held by all. Brian and Lyle we appreciate your good instructions.
David G