I Forge Iron

Thomas Smith & Sons, Saltley

snailbrand

I recently shared  4 days of peace and fettling with my brother-in-law down Melbourne (Australia) way. He had inherited a range of tools from his very practical father and grandfather. Of course there were Stanley and Record planes, Disston, Spear & Jackson saws, Stanley and Ward mortise chisels and to the point 5 Thos Smith & Sons paring chisels. Tho advertising reveals a broad range of spanners, hammers and axes, I was hoping to get some information on the range of chisels manufactured and hoped the centenary book, Margaret 'Snailbrand'  or J.L.C. might be able to give more info or resources. Happy to post photos should they be of interest.

Jacobeen 

Thought the significance of paring chisels marked "THOS. SMITH & SONS O'SALTLEY L/D, probably marketed in Australia, could have been at least interesting to parties studying company history and might have provided information about these heirlooms.

Jacobeen

Welcome to IFI Jacobeen. I always suggest reading this to get the best out of the forum. READ THIS FIRST

Are you located in Australia? There are a great bunch of smith's here from down under. https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/7176-oz-roll-call/If you have done any reading here, you probably know we love pictures.

• 2 months later...

Welcome aboard Dennis, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many members live within visiting distance. 

Will you tell us more about Coleshill, maybe share pictures if you have any? 

Frosty The Lucky.

• 11 months later...

Hi there. We have discovered a large amount of documentation regarding the Smith family and Snail Brand. Scrapbooks, wills and genealogy etc.. I dont know if this would be of any interest to you.. ? Regards.. Elliott.. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/itETTuga1pMDp25N8

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Rider:  Condescending?  I don't see anything in Thomas' post even vaguely in that tone.  Some of us here can be a little abrupt at times.  Particularly when someone asks a question that they could answer themselves with a little research.  I don't see that in your query or anything negative in Thomas' reply.  For a very large proportion of time I find almost everyone here pretty gracious and generous with their knowledge and time.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand." 

• 1 month later...

You might have better luck on an old tools forum than a forum dedicated to blacksmithing and only a bit on the old tools we tend to use. (For instance as a smith I have over 100 ; but have never made a list of the brands of them. A tool collector will know the brand of everything!)

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. Posting a pic or two might get some response. I know nothing about "Snail" tools but may have one or more. I'm far less interested in brand, age, etc. than utility so I don't look unless I have a reason.

Frosty The Lucky.

Late to join the conversation.... Has anyone scanned the Centenary book(let) and produced it as a PDF for wider dissemination???

Can anyone confirm if Thomas Smith used the Cutty Sark brand name on their axes???

The possibility of the Cutty Sark logo cane up as a reply on a Facebook group, Billhook Junkies - one of many devoted to the history of edge tool making....

https://scontent.fbrs4-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/161244954_3844074895669083_1838775447387349135_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=dbeb18&_nc_ohc=TGT_5n0cqLgAX_dSn6G&_nc_ht=scontent.fbrs4-2.fna&oh=fbdaea790724229a9907ab0b54b78b2c&oe=60797B46

Bob Burgess

• 2 years later...