I Forge Iron

Hobbies crossing over

Sometimes the universe rewards us, in this case, I was able to make one hobby (blacksmithing) work on behalf of another hobby (canoing). My very talented wife made me a skirt for the front of my canoe for rough water rides, and to keep my camping gear dry. Problem was, the canoe did not have a means of attaching the skirt securely. Now these two clips I forged are no big deal skill wise, but they are going to attach to the wood trim on the top of my canoe, and they will bend around and down to create a hook for the bungies that keep the skirt tight. I sprayed them with multiple coats of rubberized paint. It is just one of the many rewards of learning to manipulate hot metal, and this summer, they will be invaluable.

post-4158-0-55272300-1333240745_thumb.jp

Hey Eric, I was born in Ca. and used to guide rafts down the rivers there! I will take you up on that! I did not build my canoe, I bought a kevlar spitfire from Placid Boatworks, a sweet little canoe you paddle like a kayak! The Adirondacks have a plethora of sweet lakes and rivers!!

Hey Eric, I was born in Ca. and used to guide rafts down the rivers there! I will take you up on that! I did not build my canoe, I bought a kevlar spitfire from Placid Boatworks, a sweet little canoe you paddle like a kayak! The Adirondacks have a plethora of sweet lakes and rivers!!

Mike,
I love to canoe myself & couldn't agree more on the Adirondacks. Have you paddled Hemlock lake? That's another treasure in our back yard I go to often.
Bruce

I just mailed out a custom oven peel to my friend doing renaissance cooking. Her travel beehive oven is quite small so I whipped out a small peel in about 1/2 an hour Saturday.

I also repaired a set of brass candlesticks for our church Sunday afternoon so I guess I'd have to say that my hobby crosses over with my life! (now to design and build a tolling striker for the church's bell and get a wok ring done for my stepson...)

gotta be a kayak, see the porthole resting on top?

Oh, I agree, but some boat builders still consider it a canoe. It just brought back a discussion I vaguely remember some time ago on a canoe building forum on whether a similar style boat could/should be considered a canoe (which it was by the owner & started the debate) or a kayak. Hence, my post. IIRC, the opinions were pretty evenly split.

Oh, I agree, but some boat builders still consider it a canoe. It just brought back a discussion I vaguely remember some time ago on a canoe building forum on whether a similar style boat could/should be considered a canoe (which it was by the owner & started the debate) or a kayak. Hence, my post. IIRC, the opinions were pretty evenly split.
Canyac?

Looks good Jacques. Now comes the age old ?. Is it a canoe or kayak? :)

To add a bit of confusion, the plans only say 15' Rigid two seater, and the plans is by Tyne Folding Boats.

I've decided years ago I do not get involved in debates, so I for this thread I will call it a boat. If you build your own you can call it whatever you like.

This one hasn't folded yet.

Love to canoe, but don't get to do much since I hurt my knee.

Always wanted to put a skirt on my Bell Morningstar but never got around to it. I would love to see how your wife fabricated a skirt and how you're going to attach it. That would make a good tutorial.....

After being in the Navy I don't do boats, nor get in water over my ankles, but I like this discussion of how working hot metal spills over into other, trades/hobbies. I started out with metal casting, brass, moved into fine art bronze and then while waiting for my metal to melt notice how plastic my dross skimming rod became, so I started twisting it about which lead me to buy a book on blacksmithing which lead me to buy an anvil which, well it just keeps on leading one. And now I'm making jewelry out of copper, brass and silver but I still love all types of metal. I have made black powder guns, knives, fixed up stuff that broke and all because I was curious about the properties of metal and how it flowed, bent, welded. It just don't stop does it? Ain't it wonderful this stuff that comes out of the ground as a rock and turns into something we can manipulate with fire, hammer and anvil?!!!