I Forge Iron

nitrile gloves

macbruce

I am getting ready to pressure wash my powerhammer with gasoline, it needs cleaning so bad, but I was so concerned with my manicure and nail polish that i just couldn't. Thanks for the heads-up on these gloves, they should help.

This is dangerous in so many ways. See post below

I am getting ready to pressure wash my powerhammer with gasoline, it needs cleaning so bad, but I was so concerned with my manicure and nail polish that i just couldn't. Thanks for the heads-up on these gloves, they should help.

ONR This scares me in so many different ways.

Gasoline should only be used as a motor fuel, and stored only when absolutely necessary. It should not be used as a solvent, cleaner, fire-starter, or for any other non-engine use. Gasoline vapors are highly flammable and can ignite at temperatures as low as -45 degrees Celsius. A single cup of gasoline, when vaporized and ignited, has the explosive power of five sticks of dynamite.
Reference

The motor of the electric pressure washer arcs and sparks, and is near where your working. If it is engine driven, there are sparks available from many sources. I have seen gasoline vapors travel across the ground. When it meets an ignition source BOOM.

There are plenty of good solvents out there. Please consider another method of cleaning that hammer.

Huh, a friend was just over at the shop today telling me how much they prefer the black nitrile gloves at his place. He's got two employees so the glove have to last longer for him to pay more for them. Guess I'll be getting some when the current supply runs out.

At the plant we use Nitrile gloves, and the powder blue are about 5 mil. they are not very durable. We also use black nitrile that are 9 mil and longer and are more durable. Now ours don't come from HF, but i think the extra thickness is worth the extra cost. For heavy use cleaning and so forth, go with a real glove that is more the 0.009" thick.

I didn't realize the color was thickness coded. I just figured they had the black gloves because they looked tougher.

I use the gloves when I'm getting greasy/oily or to keep paint stuff off my hands. Big thick gloves with long cuffs for scrubbing the toilets or messing with acid. :-)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Yes they Are Bob I wont ever weld in a pair any more ! was working on a truck needed to weld a small weld put a welding glove on one hand not the other ... a hot bead hit my hand with the Nitrate glove and poof up in smoke and burnt my hand too . lesson learned (use Both Leather gloves when welding !)

Sam