I Forge Iron

Power Hammer Tooling Question

I’m about to start making tooling, for the 100 lb LG hammer, I just rebuilt and put a brake on. Thanks to Sid at LG, Peacock, and McBruce by the way for your help in this endeavor.

So my question is this; I’m going to make most of the tooling; swage blocks, fullers, v blocks and the like, either with spring arms or side bars to attach to the bottom die holding fixture I just machined. Most of the tools will be made of 4140 and sent out for professional heat treating, in the mid 40 RC range. I’ll try to harden and temper some of the simple, smaller tools myself, in quenching oil or canola. So, can I weld the mild steel spring arms or attachment bars on after heat treatment or should they be attached first? I’m not so much worried about breaking tools and having to remake or repair them, as having them fail and come shooting out and killing me BTW.

I weld spring arms to heat treated dies and rarely have had any failures at the weld. You must use 7018 at a minimum for this, better yet get some 308 stainless rod or some other ss rods....I always weld pre treated dies and drawing temper hasn't been an issue but I'm careful not to do multipule passes one after another....let it cool in between passes.

We find that handles will normally crack in the heat affected zone on the mild steel side of the arrangement, not on the tool side of the setup. If you want to make a mechanical joint the old timers used to drill a hole in the tool before HT, choose a handle rod size slightly smaller than the hole they had drilled, upsett the ends of the handles to a flare shape and of a dia to fit into their drilled holes, After HT insert the upsett handles heat up around the hole edge with an Oxy torch and peen/caulk the edges of the holes onto the handles using a flat ended punch. The joint may become loose after a while but it just needs repeening, or you can leave it loose, it will not affect the tool.

I have some photos to illustrate, these are of some single handle pin swages that are fairly old, (ie I reckon that they predate me, and probably everyone else on this forum) Sorry but they are a couple of meg but that is just what my phone put them at.

Phil

post-5537-0-95036600-1330403849_thumb.jp

post-5537-0-13052300-1330420062_thumb.jp

post-5537-0-53070700-1330420115_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

All you need to do is tack weld the 4140 to the spring handle, then preheat to 400deg. or more(I like a dull red), then mig weld, air cool then deliver to the heat treat plant. Just finish over 500 tools with 570lbs. made from 4140.

no wonder you have a human forklift phil..... how the hell do you get that up?!

Hoy! this is a familly site--- that is for veiwing not making :D :D :D !

@Phil--- looks like you don't take prisoners mate! B) B) Awsome!

The human forklift has left mid last year to go underground drilling in the mines, that is Jay our 2nd year app, he is not yet a human forklift.

These are swages for our press, they will not have handles but will be attached to the top and bottom blocks, just about to go grinding them up this morning, put the radius on and generally clean them up, they are 4340 so we will not be going to HT, just leave them as normalised. We just held the handles there to see what response we would get from IFI.

Phil

I don't heat treat my dies. Some are made from A36, some are made from 4140. Don't have problems with them, but do small runs. I have only done about 6,000 nails with 2 different headers and top tools, no significant wear on those. Other items are probably not much over 100 parts for some under 1,000 for others. Again no significant wear. I do make a point of keeping the die or tool cool, sometimes to the point of having a bucket of water next to the hammer that I drop the tool into between heats.