I Forge Iron

Best Anti-Spatter?

Back in the day when most anti-spatter spray was solvent based, it would keep my mig shroud and tip pretty much slag free, or at least easy to clean. Nowadays this water based stuff keeps my workpiece spatter free but is useless for the gun, tip and shroud. I know of tins that you can stick "it" in, and there are still sprays. What is your favourite?? I might not be able to get it over here, but being self employed I don't get out much, all advice appreciated. :)

Believe it or not....I have used PAM, yep, you read it right, PAM the stuff you spray in you cooking pans to keep stuff from sticking. and if you get the 'buttered' flavored it smells like pop corn! :lol: Seriously, the stuff does work and is much cheaper that the stuff at the welding supply.

PAM is used to spray on you cooking pots or pans to keep what you are cooking from sticking to the bottom/sides. Really good on cookie sheets...or so I've been told...don't get too many cookies here...sigh....I really do like home made chocolate chip cookies or oatmeal-n-raisins, or snicker-doodles,or.......

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all for the replies.I know it is a mundane subject, unfortunately we don't have a vegetable oil in spray form here, so I got a selection of products from my local welding supplier. Favourite so far is a "Tip-Dip" waxy consistency which melts onto hot shroud and tip. One dip/hour does the job for me, sorted.

I bought a plastic jar of nozzle dip, gooey greasy stuff but it keeps things spatter free. Only problem, the nozzle has to be hot to dip it properly. Word of caution, make sure that any sprays don't contain clorinated hydrocarbons, perchlorethylene, trichlorethylene, methylene chloride etc. The key phrase is "CHLOR" these products turn to phosgene gas when heated. Probably wouldn't product enough to hurt you but you never know. With Phosgene you can be right a thousand times but you can only be wrong once.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...