I Forge Iron

Floor model cone mandrel

utaholdiron

Anyone ever seen a mandrel like this one? I'm thinking of buying it ($350), but I'm a little concerned about the small end not coming to a point. Any information would be appreciated. The large end is 12 inches in diameter, it's around 4 feet tall and weighs around 110 pounds.

post-15679-0-73117600-1327355913_thumb.j

Is it something you would use a lot? Otherwise it's a "lovely but expensive coat rack" as a friend of mine who doesn't use his says.

I have a hardy sized version and one of the ballistic nose cone ones and would love to own a full size one as my common tasks have started including welding up hoops of various sizes---always one size *larger* than the cone to hand it seems!

Oh yes, if it's in good condition that's a good price on it!

A cone is something that once I got used to using one, I can no longer imagine doing without. Unfortunately you live too far away to demonstrate rounding up rings and bands and enlarging and/or rounding curves that are too large to round up on the horn of an anvil. They are also good for making cone shaped objects such as nozels for the bellows that mate into the cone airway on a side-blast forge, and handy to make truncated cones for making jigs.

That's the kind of thing that can be hard to find, when you need it.

So, my thought would be to grab it now, while it's availsble.

It doesn't take up a lot of space, ... and it will never "depreciate".

I've got a lot of stuff laying around that I haven't yet used, ... but I don't regret the investment, at all.

I have a couple of small ones that are solid, but my big one is between 4 and 5 feet tall is hollow with a solid top, about 1-3/4" diameter flat top. I've seen some that were a two piece cone. Had a hole in the top of the large one and a smaller cone fit into that and came to a point. I use the small ones more, but on occasion the big one is required. Like was said, it's a good investment. This is the only craft/business I know where you buy a tool, use it for 15 - 20 years and sell it for several times what you paid for it.

If you make rings buy it . They are a great time saver. The price is good. Useing a wood mallet to finish form your rings avoids unsightly dings. :)

I feel fortunate to have a Wally Yeater and use it on virtuall every project .

Cone mandrels are like cops, never around when you *need* one, slowing you down when you don't.

As to availability on the market, they are about as scarce as unicorns, or honest poiticians. I see one at auction every couple of years.

Jump on it, you can always offer to trade it to other blacksmiths for anvils and post vices if you get tired of it.