I Forge Iron

what to pay?

So a little while ago i posted a thread here: http://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/25285-power-hammer/page__fromsearch__1 and i got lots of nice feedback, so now i am working out what i am going to need to pay for a power hamer (very general i know ;) )... so let me narrow it down.. i am looking for prices on 25-50lb LGs in ontario so that i know how much i need to save... so what should i expect to pay???
thanks
Josh

I have mostly seen them in the $2,500-3,500 range. For a working hammer. I would guess one just rebuilt and perfect would be more and one that needs rebuilding would be less. I was looking at a 250# last summer for $2,500, it was in need of serious restoration. Not long after I saw a 50# running for the same price. Look around the forums, anvilfire, craigslist etc... And don't forget moving it will cost a bit, figure in cost of travel, loading and unloading(renting forklift or tractor). For me with the 250# I was looking at over a grand, but I needed to rent a truck too. Good luck, -Justin

I have seen some of Peacock's hammers run and they are sweet and worth the money. Watched him forge a small anvil with a LG

Depending on your welding/mechanical ability you might look into making an air hammer or tire hammer. You would not get 100 years out of either like a LG has but how much are you planning to use it. Hobby or full time ect. I know several people who have one or the other and are very happy.

i do not have much welding ability (seeing as im 15 and dont own a welder) but i feel that to get to the next stage in my shop i need an easyer way to move metal and do not want to damage my soulder by hammering too much, i would much rather buy a nice small LG to start. so i am looking domwhere in he area of 4 grand for a nice 25-50lb right? not as bad as i thaught

• 5 weeks later...

I agree with Countryforge. I wish I learned to weld when I was in school, but I am now just teaching myself with an arc welder.

One thing I neglected to try while in school was machine shop. If your school offers a machine class as an elective I would sign up when you get the chance. This will give you the basics I am sure and give you some tools to play with. Not to mention you'll gain the knowledge of welding and fabricating. With this I think you'd be able to put together a nice hammer together within a year and probably at a very low cost.

I am always on the lookout for hammers.
put the word out with your local blacksmithing groups . I would reckon that a 15 year old will get a fair price.
its worth remembering that you will get your money back on a LG should you move away or upward from it. not so much so on a home made hammer.

I am always on the lookout for hammers.
put the word out with your local blacksmithing groups . I would reckon that a 15 year old will get a fair price.
its worth remembering that you will get your money back on a LG should you move away or upward from it. not so much so on a home made hammer.

that was what i was thinking, i want to be able to flip it for a better oe in a moments notice.

There was a 50 Lb little Giant for sale in Ontario a few days back 3000. It went on the first call and the first one I have seen on sale in a decade. It was in poor shape so parts and bushings ( babbit ) would be needed, costly if you have to get it from the States. I agree with Basher but there are few hammers around here. I look at Europe Ebay there must be 10 on sale at all times great prices too.

at least with a tyre hammer you would know the ins and outs, and not be too scared to make necessary modifications. i am a bit of a trditionalist when it comes to restoration, and am loth to make changes to original designs, especially on things that are over 100 years old.....

Before you start on the helve. I think I heard at the last OABA meeting that there are plans for a group build of tire hammers. You might want to look into that. A group build like that has the advantage that it ends up taking much less time per hammer than if the hammers are built individually. As well there will be tools used that you may not own and there will also be savings in bulk steel purchases.

Before you start on the helve. I think I heard at the last OABA meeting that there are plans for a group build of tire hammers. You might want to look into that. A group build like that has the advantage that it ends up taking much less time per hammer than if the hammers are built individually. As well there will be tools used that you may not own and there will also be savings in bulk steel purchases.

that sounds cool! i will look for it

Get a hold of Dan Linkenheld sooner rather than later, from talking to him yesterday, they are getting pretty close to starting. Hard to argue with $1000, give or take a couple hundred, for a power hammer, though.

that price is hard to argue with... but way too much for me or my family at this point.