I Forge Iron

first time and intro

EricS

Hi, my name is Eric Smith, My 15 yr old son Eli and I live in NC. We have been gathering up the materials and tools to do some blacksmithing together. I was extremely excited when my son came to me and said he wanted to try forging some iron( something i have always wanted to try). I've tried for years to get him to come out to the wood shop and build something with me or help me fix up some of the old "arn" i use in the shop. but I couldn't pry him away from the video games.
We went down to RR tracks that supply coal to the steam plant a couple of miles away and were able to pick up about 30lbs of coal in about a quarter mile. so we fired up the forge and managed to bang out a few things for the first time. we did burn the tip off the rr spike knife my son made but it ended up ok for the first time ever. we learned how the coal burned (never had a coal fire before) and how to manage it a little bit. I made a slitting tool for future forgings. I think it turned out pretty good for the first piece. We don't have an anvil right now or the cash to by one right now so we used what we could scrounge up i sharpened an edge on the flat plat we were using to make a hot cut i'm surprised at how efficient it works. The pick of the forge has the coal pushed away from the tuyere to help it cool down we had about a 4" deep fire ball. Anyway thanks for all the info on the site from everyone and looking forward to posting more.
any critiques will be appreciated.
Thanks Eric and Eli

post-23601-0-96921200-1327261737_thumb.j

post-23601-0-42714400-1327261760_thumb.j

post-23601-0-31918500-1327261788_thumb.j

Welcome to IFI. Looks like you both have the drive to get with it. The knife looks very nice for a beginner and some that have been forging for awhile, too. Like the slitter. Good luck. Glad that your son is interested in forgeing. It will be great to work together. I look forward to seeing many more of your projects. :)

Hey Eric and Eli,

Welcome to IFI. When my son got back from Iraq we made our first forge. I have been forging steadily since. It's a great hobby. I have been forging for two years now outside under a tree and am just now about to finish my blacksmith shed. Where are you in NC. I'm in Durant's Neck in the north east corner. There are plenty of other smiths in NC. Have fun and be safe. Mind the RR bulls.
Looking forward to seeing you progress.

Mark <><

Welcome to "I Forge Iron"
To enjoy, and being able to work with your son, far out-ways what you end up producing with your hands.
To strengthen the bonds of your relationship with your children; I believe is the most important product you can produce at the forge.

I have had MANY Fathers and Mothers who have taken advantage of the Blacksmith School located in my area tell me the reason they attended Blacksmithing classes with their children was to use it only as a vehicle to become closer and bond with their children.

It worked! So to the pleasant surprise of many of us, that became the positive and unexpected side benefit for families who attend the Blacksmith School.

I wish both of you the very best!
Ted Throckmorton