I Forge Iron

New setup in the garage and a pair of tongs

So I built some stands for my post vise and my anvil and needed to try them out. I couldn't find coal or charcoal locally so I needed another source of fuel. Last time I was in utah I picked up a couple bags of Charcoal but it was almost out. Wood pellets are really popular here in Elko so I thought I'd try it.

I got the Charcoal going and then started pouring the pellets in. It put the fire right out and smoked the shop up bad. It took me two more tries to get a fire that would keep burning. I didn't think the pellets were working because it really wasn't building a coal bed. Then I found my ash dump was letting the air blast out. As soon as I tightened it up the pellets started building a much hotter fire and began making a bed of coals. After that I just would feed the pellets in the sides and then slowly put them in the fire, otherwise it would suffocate the fire and smoke like crazy.

Now that I got a good fire I decided to make some tongs. I had some 1/2" rebar so I thought I would try that. It took me about two hours but I did get a working set of tongs built. They are HIDEOUS...LOL. But they will work and I learned a whole bunch about what I'm looking for next time.

When I got finished I realized that I wasn't nearly as tired as I had been in the past. With the anvil at the right height and on a solid mount it made life so much better. The vise worked out very well but it does need some adjustment to hold it tighter.

All in all I'm very pleased with the results of today.

Lookin' good, Sanddraggin. I especially like the anvil stand, that's a beaut.

There are alternative solid fuels which you can use in your forge, corn is one. If you have a feed store in your area then your fuel questions are solved. 50 pound bags of feed corn, nothing fancy, that's all there is to it.

http://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/24745-charcoal-corn-combo/page__hl__corn__fromsearch__1

Use the search feature to find more on corn here on IFI, there have been several threads on the subject.

If you have access to hardwood pallets such as a warehouse or some similar source in your area then you have a supply of kindling to get your corn going too. Sometimes you can get pallets for free just for the asking but showing up with a box of doughnuts when you go asking at the warehouse will certainly help.

Don't be ashamed of your tongs. They are servicable and will help you make many things including another set of better tongs. Make sure you keep them so you can see your progress. Making tongs is a great exercise in itself and a necessary one so you can tune your tongs to your work for safety.

Love the shop setup but keep a real close eye on ventilation, lack of it can be a killer.

I have two comments for you:

1) Nice tongs. I made my first pair as part of a class, and one of the things they said to do was to forge down the edges on the material. On yours, you might want to heat the reins and forge out some of the rebar texture. It may be more comfortable using them over the long haul.

2) Did your level come as a part of a set? I have the same one, with the magnet, that came with a bigger one. Empire, right?

Does having the vise bracket horizontal inside the vise cause issues running long pieces down?

As a smith it seems like you could heat it and rotate it so that it sits flat against the vise leg leaving maximum room to fit stock down past it. (and yes you will probably have to forge a transition and use a different piece to do it as your set up doesn't look to me to have any mode of tightening it up if the dimensions change.)

Does having the vise bracket horizontal inside the vise cause issues running long pieces down?

I noticed that too.

Every project is a learning experience, and I'm sure "next time" another technique will seem more desireable.

I use a lot of "square bent" "U" bolts, in situations like that one.

Thomas, It does get in the way unless you are on the extreme end of the jaw so I was going to modify that bracket. I think I will bend the end down. As for adjustment I put two adjuster screws on the table so I can crank them in and then tighten the plate. It works ok but like Smoothbore said It's a learning experience.

Downsfish, Hey bro. Glad you like it and your nieces love hanging out in the shop. It's a good thing.

I have two comments for you:

1) Nice tongs. I made my first pair as part of a class, and one of the things they said to do was to forge down the edges on the material. On yours, you might want to heat the reins and forge out some of the rebar texture. It may be more comfortable using them over the long haul.

2) Did your level come as a part of a set? I have the same one, with the magnet, that came with a bigger one. Empire, right?

I'm going to make another pair but I'll use round stock next time.

The level is an Empire but I got It by itself. pretty handy to have around.

Good set up and good attempt at your first tongs. I would make 2 comments. 1. check your ash dump it looks open so you will loose air pressure. 2 I would attach the
bottom of the post vice to the back or side legs. Keep doing it you are on the right path.

I'm pleasantly surprised at the attention to detail you folks have. I noticed the ash dump open a little while after this and once I tightened it I got a much better results.

Welcome to I Forge Iron Sanddraggin

Now that you are a member, it is no longer “You Folks”, you are one of us!
I expect that I will see you assist others in time. It is just how this site works.

You said “I'm pleasantly surprised at the attention to detail you folks have. I noticed the ash dump open a little while after this and once I tightened it I got a much better results”

After about 5 years I am no longer surprised, but I am still amazed everyday when I see how openly so many expert blacksmiths and Knife makers give of their wisdom and knowledge to those asking for help.

It seems that when a person reaches a certain skill level they no longer feel threatened or insecure about their skills.
I think they know that many who seek help will make a lot of noise about starting, but not actually do much.
And they know that some others will not use the information because of the additional effort it would take to put it into action.
So the information is still safe.

But: we have people come in here who take to Blacksmithing and Knife Making like a Hungry Bull Dog takes to a Cow Bone.
And to give this type of a person some hard earned information is a privilege because they will carry it forward.

Yes, we are privileged to have the expertise of the many members who are the top of the line Craftsman in the field of Blacksmithing and Knife makers.

I am sure you are going to do well from what I have seen of your posts.
I THINK YOU ARE HOOOOOOOKED! :)

Please be open to all safety issues.
The very best to you and your helper!
Ted Throckmorton

Great. Have you made a set of spacers for the other end of the vise to help prevent twisting when you crank down?

It's another good starter project: get a selection of sq stock sizes about 4" long. Hot cut about 1/2 to 1" down the top and fold the flaps out so they will rest on the vise jaws opposite the end you are using. I like to stamp the sizes on the flaps too. For the smaller pieces I forge the end into a flat spiral as there is not enough meat to slit and bend.

After seeing the Columbian vises that use a square U bolt and something like a piece of heavy angle iron for mounting brackets I will often go that route to set up a vise in a hurry.

I'm impressed that you did engineer in a method of tightening the vise system---good work!