I Forge Iron

Moving large platen tables

Did you call towruck? What you plan is is exactly what I was trying to tell you a flatbed towtruck would do. Only the truck bed will tilt so you need not jack up the table, and their truck will have a monster winch built in. If that is to much to pay then yes your way will also work. How will you get the frame on the truck without a forklift?

Thanks! Somehow I missed that before. I just called a towtruck on CL and he quoted me $250 if I have it on wheels and ready at the door when he shows up. I don't have to move it in pieces this way either. Looks like I'll be going that route, seems like the cheapest way to do it, and safe as well.

Talk to the last person you know who went to the emergency room of any hospital for a crush injury. They`ll tell you that $1000 doesn`t begin to touch what they had to pay even before they got rolled out of the ER and into the OR.

Don`t be stupid, you obviously don`t have the experience needed to get this done safely. Either hire a pro or walk away from it, the life you save may be your own.

My friend's dad works for a large demolition company that does a lot of rigging, and he is going to come with us and bring a bunch of that stuff in case the tow driver doesn't have enough. I'm pretty sure the platens are just set on the table right now. Do you think it's sufficient to use a ton of heavy duty straps and chains to secure them to the stand? There are also a bunch of huge c-clamps I'll be picking up from this place, so I could use them as well. Otherwise I'm not sure how I would attach them...I assume the platens are cast iron and so not able to be welded on.

I would run a chain and binder around the top of the stand and platen, one sideways to pinch both tops together and one lengthwise one each platen. Do that before trying to load and leave them on until unloaded. Sounds like you will need 6 chains and binders. 3 to hold tops to stand and 3 more to hold it to truck. Clamps will work also, use them as well to prevent any small amount of shifting. Tight chains will damage the corners of the cast iron slightly, protect it with something if it matters.
Sounds like you are in good hands.
Try to take pics as you go, it should be very simple.

Hey Dan,

I have got to agree with Bob Mainely, this doesn't sound like a very good idea! Don't trust clamps to hold anything that is moving in place! Especially on the bed of a big truck, trucks vibrate a LOT and vibration loosens clamps. Always imagine what will happen if/when a hold down piece fails.

Also of great importance is the center of gravity, with small wheels the rolling resistance is very great when it encounters any bump, the great resistance will torque the legs, if the legs bend/break off then the metal slab will come crashing down, maybe damaging the truck or crushing a person.

I just flat out don't trust rollers, they remove a great deal of control from the process and add a great deal of danger. Lifting the item with a profesional operator and equipment is just about the only way to go.

If you hire a profesional then you could pick their brain about the how, why and what of moving heavy items on the way down and back, plus you get something potentially very dangerous done safely.

Caleb Ramsby

Chalk me up for "give it a go". Too much coddling in the world, into the ring with the lions! I just moved mine with a 1986 Dodge Prospector, some I beams, a pinch bar, some various straps and come alongs and whatever else was lying around. If yer drawing neat little scheming sketches you are probably up to the task. I'd rather hang with you than a guy that hired the rigger. Dealing with two tons all spread out like that gives me great respect for my hydraulic press. Remember, don't stick your fingers where you wouldn't put your most special parts.

Thanks Nuge, Nice to see someone not afraid of doing work on here. I agree 100% about not wanting to hang with the dude who hire riggers to move a workbench. Yesterday I was given a car minus one front wheel assembly. They thought it would take a towtruck and forklift to get off their property. Simple matter of a rolling jack and winch on the trailer.
smith out

Nuge, was that the first time you ever moved anything heavy? The original poster has stated that he has never pulled a trailer, much less moved anything heavy. I re-read his last post and he is taking someone with knowledge along, which is a very good thing!

I used to go very out of my way to "do everything myself, my way", but the longer I live the more I realize that this often results in a false economy.

I was just trying to point out that there are a great deal of hidden dangers involved with moving something compact and heavy such as a platten table and someone with a great deal of knowledge in regards to doing such things will make the process much safer, but nothing in this world is completely safe, nor should it be, what fun would that be.

However pros make mistakes too:

http://www.osha.gov/dts/maritime/sltc/ships/rigging/rigging_accidents.html

http://www.croberts.com/rig.htm

Caleb Ramsby

Nuge, was that the first time you ever moved anything heavy?

No, but this was.

My take is to be safe, but not scared if you decide that you are up to the task. And get good help. The kind of guy that cant help but stick his head under the car when you're wrenching. That's my bro Pat in the photo. He loves this job. His two girls were born in a kiddie pool on his deck. HA.

I used to go very out of my way to "do everything myself, my way", but the longer I live the more I realize that this often results in a false economy.

See, now you know how to do stuff. Nothing beats the ability to perform. Doesn't mean you have to if there's an easier way. The bottom line seems to be "Do I have $750 to spend on getting this moved?". Often times it's no. We all know that feeling.

My earlier post was a little inflammatory. I think both sides to this are valid, a guy just has to pick one for him or herself. I'll hang with any metal guy who will have me. :D

post-979-0-41652700-1325523513_thumb.jpg

Ahh the internet. I grew up on a farm. There were no riggers except us. I will always err on the side of caution regarding advise given on internet forums. There will be some with ZERO experience giving advise and opinion( I REST MY CASE). Please don't think I haven't done things the hard way or my way. After all, God can't see in the dark, right ? These days the D.O.T. can and will fine you till you don't have a birthday.

BTW your log tripod is quaint. Good use of lashings.

One thing that wasn't mentioned is cribbing it up till you can slide the trailer under, then lowering. An amazing amount of load can be moved this way with comparably low forces (houses anyone?), although quite a bit of cribbing may be needed making it less than practical.

Phil

Success! Picked up the table today. Thanks to everyone for the advice. We ended up getting a tow driver to bring a rollback, and used a forklift at our end. Here are a few pictures for reference in case anyone has to do this themselves in the future and don't really know how to go about it...

post-23126-0-71196800-1325988648_thumb.j
This was right after we jacked it up and put it on rollers. My friends dad brought some nice track jacks and rollers, the rollers have a steel frame and each one has three 3" solid steel rollers mounted in it.

post-23126-0-68316900-1325988671_thumb.j
Getting ready to pull it up.

post-23126-0-84044600-1325988682_thumb.j
Safely arrived at my building.

post-23126-0-08623900-1325988704_thumb.j
...and unloaded in the alley. That dog must have been in storage under the table, didn't notice it til we got home.

post-23126-0-37633200-1325988715_thumb.j
The roll-up door into my building into my building is only 6' wide, so we had to move the frame on its side.

post-23126-0-61633800-1325988885_thumb.j
We had to take the platens off and then replace them.

post-23126-0-67271500-1325988891_thumb.j
Done! Just needs to be rolled to its final position and leveled.

nothing like do'in it yourself, mostly, I guess the tow driver gave a good price... i might look into those rollers instead of the wheels i was going to use.
I'm moving my table in a few weeks. My mileage is 75 one way....I wonder If I can get a guy that wants to learn Smithin' ? It might cut the cost !

Here's what they look like on the underside:

post-23126-0-78471800-1325991951_thumb.j

My friend and his dad call them "loom shoes", but a quick google search for that term didn't bring up anything relevant. The guy I got off of CL charged $175 for 60 miles one way, 120 total...he was real nice and did a good job so I gave him 200, and that still seemed cheap.

http://www.heavycompany.com/ref_plastics.php?ref=301

This link goes to the plant I formerly worked at (now closed). Actually the link is to Heavy Co. but on their site the move listed is at Centerville Iowa. I have watched this moving company use the skates to install new equipment 10-15 years ago while the plant was running. I'm sure there are folks here that have seen stuff much bigger in action. The point is there are smart ways to do things with legitimate expenses for business. In my EMS years I have watched rollbacks pull stuff (mostly vehicles) from places you didn't want to be.

You have a very nice table there my friend. I look forward to seeing stuff built on it.