I Forge Iron

How to dress a hardie hole

It depends. Is it for a formal affair or just casual? JK

How badly is the hardie hole out of square and it is unusable? If your hardie tools wobble around too much you may want to think about making some shims to tighten them up or you can forge some new hardie tools that fit. :D If it is too small for your current tools, you can either make new tools :D , or forge your old tools to fit. :D
Either way, you get to make new tools!

Mark <><

An excellent book that helps me in smithery is "The Blacksmith's Craft" from COSIRA, London, England. I quote from page 4:
"It is a good plan to chamfer the edges of the square hole so that the hardy sits tight to the anvil face; this is also a convenience when using the hole for setting slightly curved bars."

I also had heard that you do not want sharp edges on hardy hole. So I put a slight bevel on the edges of the hardy hole when I got my new anvil. I used a Foredom (rotating shaft) tool and a carbide bit. Went very, very slowly (the bit was turning super fast, but I took my time) and used a gentle touch. Took a while, but I was satisfied with the outcome.

So you going to tell him how *you* do it?

I have never ground the radius into a anvil, so I wont recommend a way to do it. But I have used a number of anvils with factory sharp hardys and anvils with radius-ed edges. I tend to just mar up my work with sharp corners on a hardy hole so greatly prefer a smooth one. If I find myself in the need for sharp corners I have a number of bolster plates I can use.

It's really quite simple, you're trying to remove enough material so that it won't chip out on you. If you're also using your hardie hole to straighten things then increase the radius of the edges. I used good sharp files on my new anvil. A dremel tool or something similar works fine too, if you're careful and controlled an angle grinder would work as well.

I have used both files and sand paper on my anvil edges and a file around the hardy (small flat) and big pritchel (round file).

What I have done, and would recommend, is to take a few minutes here and there and do a little radius work, and then work with it like that for a while. I was always afraid of setting out to do the finished job in one go. If you get carried away, it will be hard to put back what you took off. However, if you take it down a teeny bit and then work with it that way for a while, you can decide if it's good enough, or if you need a little more here or there.

I still need to tweak the holes a bit... I don't like that hard, sharp machined edge. But I have slowly worked a nice graduated radius into the edges of the face. I've got it to about a 3/8" radius up front to nearly sharp at the tail end.

Power tools are great, but they can get you into trouble very quick. File it, try it, file it some more until it suits you.

My anvil is dressed in the hardy, and it seems to be desirable. I used a bolster plate with rather sharp corners to make my hardies, and they drop tight in.

I got a hand held belt grinder to clean up the bolster plate, it is a 1/2 inch wide belt and fits into a hole just a little larger than that.
http://www.harborfreight.com/air-belt-sander-97055.html

Phil

Lakeside, that last comment does not pertain to hardy holes, avoid dressing the bottom side of the hole of a hammer or top tool. It wouldn't make much difference for the anvil hardy other than creating a bigger job than necessary.

I use worn or broken belts from the belt sander to dress hardy holes and hammer eye holes. For hardy holes, tear an appropriate sized strip, and go in your hardy with a "shoe shine" motion.

I do strongly suggest that you dress your hardy holes before you use them, and never use a hardy in your anvil that was not made or fitted properly in your hardy hole. Also, never punch over your hardy or pritchel holes!