I Forge Iron

Copper Kettle Spider

Customer wanted a spider for his copper kettle that he keeps firewood in next to the fireplace. Wanted something nice but not fancy. The customer wants to apply the finish himself.
Top ring is 1 1/2" x 1/4" 22 1/2" Dia. Bottom tapered Hoop is 1 1/2" x 1/8" 25" Dia. Legs are 1 1/2" x 18" x 1/4". The tapered hoop was quite a challenge. Rolled both the ring and the hoop with the fly press.

John

post-278-0-94412100-1317173002_thumb.jpgpost-278-0-50861500-1317173006_thumb.jpgpost-278-0-84412200-1317173009_thumb.jpgpost-278-0-78739400-1317173015_thumb.jpgpost-278-0-42882300-1317173020_thumb.jpg

Once I attached the legs to the top ring and then bent them to the desired angle I took 3 pieces of 1/2" by 10' square stock and clamped one to the inside of the angled portion of each leg starting at the ground. Where they intersected at the top(teepee fashion) I tied them up with wire. Then I measured from that intersection down to the planned center line of the tapered hoop on each leg. That measurement was 48 5/8" I cleared a place on the shop floor and scribed a 180 degree arc with a 48 5/8"radius on the floor. Then I took the circumference of the center line off the hoop and added 4" on each end to allow for the Flypress tooling. that came to 86". I cut a piece of 1 1/2' x 1/8" x 86" . Then I made reference lines at each inch interval. Then I placed the stock on edge and run it through the flypress lightly bending it at each mark. You don't take to much ata time and then you lay it on the floor on your arc and make the inside of your piece match the mark on the floor. You keep running it through and checking it till it matches.If you get it too tight you hammer the inside where it's to tight to bend it back out. Once you get it to match your arc then you lay it flat on the fly press and roll it like you would a normal ring. Once you get your ring formed you double check your finished diameter and fit and then cut the excess off one end. Hope this is clear enough. There is a good example of the technique in Francis Whitakers "Blacksmith's Cookbook" on page 101.I have also added a picture of the bending fixture.
John
post-278-0-56320800-1317244025_thumb.jpg

That's going to make a great addition to the customer's fire set, it'll really make the room look good.

I visualized a copper pot spider as being a shallow wire strainer on a handle, (flattened ladle fashion) for dipping stuff out of a deep fat frier. Cooks call the things spiders and I was thinking of one specially intended for copper pots or made of copper. Makes me wonder where my mind's eye is wandering today.

Well done John.

Frosty the Lucky.

• 2 years later...