I Forge Iron

Studebaker Hydraulic Vise!!!

Bentiron1946

I was looking on eBay for a small machinist vise to adapt to use as an engravers vise and found this Studebaker Hydraulic Vise up for auction. Now as a note to the administrators I am not suggesting that anyone buy this vise, I am merely put it up here for a suggestion as a very handy type of vise to have in the shop, so please don't go and move this to the Tailgate section, OK? There have been many times that things would have been so much easier to do if I had had a quick closing vise. Yes, I know that there are quick closing vises that one merely has to step on and a cam will close the jaw but they always seem to be very limited in the size of material that can be grasped, more for farrier work that for the sculptor and then there are the cam lock smaller bench top vises that some on the forum have and I have seen them on the forum and here again there are intended for smaller bench type work. However this Studebaker vise seems made for handling good sized pieces of work. I bet one could do some damage to one phalanges with this vise if one were not very careful!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-STUDEBAKER-HYDRAULIC-PNEUMATIC-MACHINIST-BENCH-VISE-5-INCH-JAW-/220856071187?pt=BI_Tool_Work_Holding&hash=item336c0c3413

• 2 months later...

One of the neat tools I saw in a production WWing shop up here was a series of pattern maker`s vises set up to open and close using dual action air cylinders and a rocker foot pedal.
What made it nice was that the pressure of the jaws could be adjusted thru a regulator on the post. Those things sure were fast and the fact that they made special wood jaws for different jobs made them versatile too. They used pattern maker`s vises because they would spin and tilt and the posts they were mounted on could be adjusted for height too. I was so impressed by their versatility that I made a copy of the post for my main metalworking vise.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 years later...

Write to the Studebaker Family National Association about stopping by and looking at it next time you go to Quad-State.  Just about 30 to 40 minutes down the road from Quad-State in Tipp City and the association details can be found by a web search.  As I recall it was mounted on the same workbench as the large Fisher parallel jaw vise.

• 4 weeks later...