I Forge Iron

Starting Tools

TomN

Hi all.
I'm going on a basics blacksmithing course this Saturday and am looking to get things set up ready for when I get back.
I don't have a forge or anvil yet, but i'm trying to get my garage set up so I can work in there, with the forge slightly outside.

I was wondering what tools to buy to get me started?
I went to a local ironmongers on lunch and got a wire brush (which I need to nail to more wood for a longer handle) and a club hammer (~4lb's). They had ball pein and cross pein hammers, but they were very small. I also have a vice, that I need to mount on a bench as well. I have an big old, oak pub table, that I can mount it on and then drill holes in that to store tools in.

All the chisels they had were for wood cutting. They did have a 14lb sledge hammer though, which I guess could work as a small anvil to start on?.....

I have also looked on screwfix, tool station, blacksmith depot and B&Q's website for more possible bits.

My main concern is tongs!
I guess that I could make my own chisels, punches and sets etc, but really would need to have at least 1 set of tongs to get me started.
What could I use as a rudimentary set of tongs to get me started?

Any general advice on tools would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers.
TomN

Thanks. Your right, they are expensive!

Small items like drifts might be ok, as they were about £10 each. Other than that, not sure if i'd buy anything from there.
Would like some 2lb ball pein hammers though. Would rather just find them at B&Q, or just see if I can get the local ironmongers to order some in.

Never thought of that. Pretty obvious really, when you think about it!
I'll read up on making tongs in the ebook on blacksmithing I downloaded tonight.

Would flat ended tongs be the most useful ones to make to start with?
this type!

I've got no idea where to source coal and bits of steel/iron cheaply yet though.
All this background work is getting me excited for Saturdays course!
Think I will clear up space in my garage tonight and try and set up my table and bench top vice.

Why don't you wait until you get to the blacksmithing class.Surely folks there will be tied in to local sources of used tools jor maybe even have some for sale.

I'll second that, have a little patience,
A wise old man once told me: "There are only three three things you get in a rush, babies, bent bumpers(fenders) and bad decisions."
And the bad decision here is getting bogged down in what you must have for blacksmithing,

You will see on Saturday what you will find useful initially, and then you will also know what to look for, and where to source them, Make a note of what you want to know and we'll go through and try and sort out some sensible options.

Our philosophy on the course is to keep the tools required as simple and easily sourced as possible, or we make them as we go,

and don't forget the camera and notebook!

Maybe I am getting a little bit carried away here.
Its just nice to have something to look forward to. Being stuck at my job that I don't exactly enjoy, I get a little over enthusiastic about getting away from it for a while.

I will see how the course goes, but think I will really enjoy it and won't want to wait to get going.

You'll find that you may not need to add wood to the brush. Mine has no handle to speak of and works just fine. 4lbs is pretty big for a starter hammer. Heck, I still use my 2lb for most work, and my ball pein is very small - think of hardware store size.

I know its hard, but wait until after the class. You will find you really don't need much to get started. If you want to drool over tools and such, look at e-bay, but be careful, some sellers think that because it is rusty, it must be old, and therefore worth lots of money. Most also don't have a clue.

You need three things to get started - something to make the metal hot, something to pound it on, and something to pound with. Buying before you know for sure what you want just wastes money.

Thanks! I am taking things more slowly.
The big lump hammer, was simply because I don't have one and i've needed/wanted one for a while.

In the hardware shop I got it from the ball peen hammers were about 4oz's. Obviously needing one heavier than that!
I will slowly get some gear together after the course, which is only 2 days away now. Absolutely can't wait! Even though I will have to get up at near 5am. Ungodly hour to be waking up.

Spoke to one of my neighbours last night and we fix our cars together at times. Just found out he has a welding torch, so thats a plus point for making a forge. :)

Start visiting all the boot sales you can but only buy stuff when it's cheap! I often find hammers at scrapyards buried in the muck at the bottom of piles---picked up a nice one in the UK like that once---wrought iron body and steeled faces! learning how to replace a handle is a basic skill for hammer users!

Did the course yesterday and really enjoyed it!
By the end of the day i'd worked out what I was doing wrong with the fire. Made a huge difference!
I was my own worst enemy for a while, but think i'd sussed it out by the end. Did manage to burn myself as well.

John was a great teacher! He even made us tea as we worked.

As for tools it basically seems like i'd mainly only need a forge, anvil and hammer for most things.
I got some big files that can be made into chisels.

Feel like I got a grip on the basics and would like to practice now. Hopefully i can convince the wife to let me go on another course now!

These are kinda cool, $8.99 at Harbor Freight.

image_12499.jpg

I got a pair of those...I use them for weeding, plenty to grab on for pulling tree seedlings. They are OK for use in the forge, but do not hold as secure as I would like them to hold. They are excellent as pick up tongs, and when you need an extra grabber.

For the price, hard to beat despite their shortcomings.

Phil

the easy tongs are a great thing to start on, actually they are just a great thing period, I bet I have a dozen pair, they are so cheap and quick to make that I find myself making them and then modifying the jaws to suit what ever need I have. I usually leave a pair laying around that is still flat jawed and not adjusted for anything just so I have a blank set for what ever need may arise. Great practice for riveting too, and a decent little project if you get any young folks wanting to try their hand at smithing