I Forge Iron

Best CL find Ever!!

Michael

got very lucky with a craigslist ad about a half hour from home. Cast iron forge with a newer Centaur fire pot, Tiger (never seen this brand before) forge blower on a stand, and a smaller cast Columbian vise.

Grand total $50. Couldn't be happier. Some major rearranging of the patio smithy is in order.

post-182-0-69427300-1315795561_thumb.jpg

I hope the fishing was good Clinton, I saw the ad on CL on a thursday, and was a little surprised the stuff was still there on Saturday. Lousy pics might have had something to do with it.

the parting lines and the upraised columbian mark on the vise made me think it was cast. I don't recall ever seeing a marked post vise, but my experience bank is small on that front. Someone did a decent job replacing the bracket and spring.

Everything was painted with a thick coat of motor oil, spent a couple of hours cleaning it all off. Forge table is HEAVY, have to figure the best location for it and move it once! I've been burning charcoal in a brake drum forge, but I may have to switch to coal now, but I'll probably start a charcoal test fire just to see how a real firepot with the clinker breaker works.

post-182-0-89863200-1315842599_thumb.jpg

post-182-0-97027200-1315842621_thumb.jpg

Put a liner in that cast iron forge before you fire it up it WILL crack! Use sand and portland cement 3 parts sand to 1 part cement mix moist and make a 2" layer over it leaving a bowl shaped fire pot. Frank Turley reccomended that mix way back in 1994, I have had it in my rivet forge since it don't burn up or crack. You scored a once in a lifetime find!

I have a blower like the one pictured, and it has the word 'TIGER" on the stand.. These blowers look very much like the old Cannedy-Otto blowers, but are not so marked on the fan case. A mystery. Another company might be doing knockoffs, or Cannedy-Otto wasn't casting with their name at that particular time of their history.

An old store in Santa Fe, Fritz Surplus, got a number of that style of vise in stock in the 1970's. We think that they were the last "model' leg vise made by Columbian, probably WW II vintage, and made possibly for ship tenders and military use. I bought one at a good price. They are drop forged, and not wonderfully classic looking, but nevertheless, a good workable vise. All of Fritz's vises had the leaf spring folded back on itself, as shown. This is a mistake, the Columbian designers at that time not realizing that the slightly curved leaf spring pushing from the bottom has less throw than one bent in half.

Yes the fishing was good, we took a party boat out of Moss Landing. 2 1/2 hrs in rough sea down to Point Sur. 22 fisherman with limits or near limit (10 fish) I saw at least 2 Ling Cod the others were a variety of rock fish. I had 17 pounds of fillets, some of the guys had up to 25 maybe 30 lbs (bigger fish)