I Forge Iron

Straight razors

PhoenixForger

If I were able i would attend that demonstration for sure. I have a lot of years smithing and am pretty confident in forging new items with a minumum of fuss or reruns. I am pretty fair at grinding blades, Both forged and stock removal.Check my website, richhaleknives to see my work. I say all of that to help 'splain why I would say that in looking at old style straight razors, I do not believe I have the ability to forge one and have it meet my expectations for fit finish and usability.I own a few of them and have a plan to make a couple using stock removal for the work. If you are good at the forge it may be a good project for you.

• 1 year later...

I recently purchased 2 straight razors at an antique store with the intent of at least trying to shave with them. I used my 6000 grit water stone and did the Murray Carter strope. Sharp...absolutely! Shaving with it...pita. I'm going back to my Bic.
Anyone else had that experience?
John

I have not tried shaving with a straight razor yet. I understand there is a learning curve to it. I use a Gillete Red Tip double edged razor. You can check out some discussion on shaving at http://www.badgerandblade.com.

I would also like to see pictures of straights anyone has forged.

I recently purchased 2 straight razors at an antique store with the intent of at least trying to shave with them. I used my 6000 grit water stone and did the Murray Carter strope. Sharp...absolutely! Shaving with it...pita. I'm going back to my Bic.
Anyone else had that experience?
John

6k is a rough shave for most faces.

I shave with straight razors regularly, 2 or 3 times a week (frequently I only shave 2-3 times a week). If you would like a Belgian coticule edge to try I'll hone them up for you. PM me and I'll shoot you my address if you want. First class shipping in a padded mailer for a couple razors with tracking is cheap.

I second BadgerandBlade.com for shaving tips.

Phil

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I just wanted to add that in terms of sharpening a straight razor, Murray Carters methods leave a lot to be desired. A straight razor is not a kitchen knife, and what works for his kitchen knives definitely doesn't work with a razor. We've discussed this video at large, and even had a 'dialogue' with Mr Carter but that didn't end well.

And as someone else already indicated, 6000 is considered pretty coarse for a razor. 6000 to 8000 grit is usually the last step before going to a finishing stone, like a shapton 16000 grit, or some type of natural stone like a coticule, escher, or nakayama.

• 1 month later...