I Forge Iron

Coal -> Coke. Am I getting this right?

Bliss read Alex Bealer's book "THE ART OF BLACKSMITING" Alex covers the basic building and maintaining of a coal fire, what kind of coal should burn, and what happens to coal in a forge.

Thanks, I will look into it. But ordering a book and having it shipped here when I have less then 6 weeks left doesn't make a lot of sense. I'll have to order it once I'm settled in...where ever that may be.

Bliss you are moving, but don't know where? If you want to legally emmigrate to the USA, as an established biz I can sponsor a foreign blacksmith. In my 17 years of biz not one American blacksmith has applied for a job.You getting out of S.A. before it goes Zimbabwe like?

Bliss you are moving, but don't know where? If you want to legally emmigrate to the USA, as an established biz I can sponsor a foreign blacksmith. In my 17 years of biz not one American blacksmith has applied for a job.You getting out of S.A. before it goes Zimbabwe like?

I had to laugh a little. I'm an American who is here on a corporate contract (my wife's, not mine. but we haven't received our next station yet.). I do appreciate the offer though, and if we are ending up in that neck of the woods I might apply for the experience. For what it's worth, our 4 years here has been delightful and we will truly miss it when we leave.

Right on all three. You betcha whiskey is distilled beer.

In some of the oldest human structures on earth there are beer vats, distinguished by the effects of the yeast and alcohol on the containers. Beer breweries are found in all Minoan communities as well as all Egyptian ones. The large number of structures in front of the pyramids are the barracks or town for the work gangs and really common amongst the mix are the brewery/kitchens and apparent pubs/eateries. There was a program on the History Channel I think about civilization being built on beer.

Frosty the Lucky.

Except that in whiskey making you save the volatiles and throw out the mash where in charcoal and coke making you get rid of the volatiles and save what's left of the "raw material" So not quite like whiskey making (or moonshine---coming from the hills of AR freelance distilling is more "historical" for us...)