I Forge Iron

What did I get?

OKay Anvil knowledgable gentlemen and ladies...what did I get?

I bought this last night. It doesn't have a name on it. However there is a raised 80 on one side that tells me it is cast. The 80 is Kilos because it weighs in at 165 lbs. There is also a 26 stamped into the front left foot.

There is no prichel hole and I didn't measure the size of the hardy.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

John

post-5371-0-12534900-1311681011_thumb.jp

post-5371-0-46884300-1311681043_thumb.jp

post-5371-0-11194800-1311681098_thumb.jp

post-5371-0-08637900-1311681128_thumb.jp

post-5371-0-92502600-1311681146_thumb.jp

post-5371-0-08117600-1311681175_thumb.jp

That is a cast steel Austrian anvil with church windows. you can tip the anvil on it's side, and use those depressions as swages. the angled table above them provides more mass for drawing over the edge to prevent mushrooming or chipped edges.

Note that a good 2-3" of the top are of a different color-perhaps this means that the bottom half is most likely some kind of cast iron or ductile iron, and the top half is tool steel, and possibly forged...?

Generally Austrian anvils tend to have shallower church windows and are a bit more rounded on the inside, also they tend to have a more angled face on the side. That being said it is a fine anvil, and you should get some good work from it.

Aaron

I am pretty sure it is a modern anvil and one that came from old world anvils. I just dont know much or anything about the manufacturer.

The iron on the table is a couple art pieces I am working on. One is a whitetail deer door grate for a fire place and the other is a kokopelli golf sign. Pretty random but it works for me!

Thanks for the replys

John

I am pretty sure it is a modern anvil and one that came from old world anvils. I just dont know much or anything about the manufacturer.

The iron on the table is a couple art pieces I am working on. One is a whitetail deer door grate for a fire place and the other is a kokopelli golf sign. Pretty random but it works for me!

Thanks for the replys

John

Thanks for the replys

John