I Forge Iron

should i cleanup my post vise

jeffro1205

Jeff this is a tool for using not an antique. Clean as needed/wanted. Worrying about patina when you will be hitting it with a sledge is a bit off.

Yeah, what Thomas says! It's just crazy to pretty up a blasksmithing tool.wink.gif

post-975-0-14068500-1310514222_thumb.jpg post-975-0-08125100-1310514280_thumb.jpg

Does look better though. cool.gif

Frosty the Lucky

Frost you got me backwards, I said it was OK to clean it up as the original patina wasn't a part of it's value as it's a tool to be used and not an antique to be conserved.

In general I don't paint mine though I did wax the cute little 3"r I picked up last quadstate which *is* an antique---and still being used at demos!

I got you backwards Thomas? STUPID TREE!

This one needed a new spring and wedges for the mounting plate. The black bit is the original color.

Yeah, the stand folds and the little table top is really handy for small bits, the loops are good for hammers and such while the square pipe hangers are for hardy tools.

As it sits the folding stand wobbles in use so it really needs to be spiked down or I need to come up with more solid spreaders for the legs.

Green and gold are my shop colors if you're wondering.

Frosty the Lucky

Its a nice setup Frosty. I'm diggin' it. I'm hoping Jeff's cleans up that nice. Any chance of getting a pic of the bottom of the stand?

This is the clearest view of the legs and spreaders. Like I said, they need to be more rigid and sloppy is the result of how I have them hook to the center post. One of these days I'll come up with something better but this'll do for now.

Frosty the Lucky.

post-975-0-15073800-1311290801_thumb.jpg

just got a post vise from ebay... seller said that it was purchased in the 1880's . the vise seems to be in good shape but has alot of surface rust
any reason why i should not cleanup and paint this vise?

Rub it over with steel wool to remove the rust ,then rub it over with boiled linseed oil it dries & keeps the rust at bay. I do this with my anvil too when i am not using it for a while. keeps it looking good and saves the old look. Smiffy, England.

• 1 month later...

Just run over it with a wire cup wheel on a .... hold it ... 4 inch grinder :) . Inside joke from the AFC meeting this weekend ! You can then get you a burlap bag (Tractor Supply) http://www.tractorsupply.com/burlap-bag-6807646 And oil it down to make a cover. You could also add a plastic bag if it has to sit out in the weather on top. Burlap holds the oil and helps repel water. You can cover anvils like this also.