I Forge Iron

Demoing questions

Drewed

I try to have at least 10ft from a barracade to the forge and anvil....doesn't always happen tho but those are rare times. And I never allow someone inside 'my' area unless invited, yes you will have some that thing the 'roped off area' does not pertain to them. Demos are fun so enjoy and be enjoyable.

How much room do I need while doing a demo? I would like to have people as close as possible, but want them out of the danger zone. Not planning on doing any forge welding.

Check your insurance for demo's, some (like ours)state a specific distance, 12feet in my case. And this can be fire source or hot metal source.

Be aware that the anvil height is also same height as childrens' eye level when they are watching, I too, would also suggest forge welding is not a good demo feature.(As you are aware)

Be safe!

How much room do I need while doing a demo? I would like to have people as close as possible, but want them out of the danger zone. Not planning on doing any forge welding.

Hi Drewed, I only demo occasionally, and that is for kid groups. I built a shield out of Lexan that is 4' x 6' x1/4" and rope off the area so that the only way they can see is through the Lexan. I block the sides. If you do this, I suggest you keep the forge back about 4', when you surround yourself, you don't get much air, so it is me, the anvil, hammer & a hot piece of steel. Kids love to see what you are doing and I feel more comfortable with a good shield. After quesnching, I will walk out in front so they can get a closer look.
I do many simple things but what gets the biggest reaction is when I pre-build stock for basket twists in handles and twist them right in front of their eyes. Have fun, Jeff

Excellent question Drew. Protecting kids is really high on the MUST DO list. See through shields is a good idea. Kids are right at eye level and virtually anything flying off the anvil from sparks to flux to sproinging tools is going to be right in their faces so shielding them is numero uno!

Unfortunately it makes it hard to see what's going on. Plexiglass is a good shield but susceptible to hot stuff. Screen works pretty well. I've given some thought to a pony wall with elbow level shelf and a step on the outside so kids can see over it. This would put kids faces above the real danger zone but stuff will still fly and you know how Murphy likes an opening. Yes?

I've also thought about video cameras and screens but I'm not that flush on cash. Maybe a clever well spoken person can get an insurance company to help fund such a good safety measure? Yeah, right, I'd bet they'll just make it a requirement.

Frosty the Lucky

I spent a long while demoing Rams head pokers and would always make a point of getting kids on shoulders and making the crowd move back , I found this added drama to the whole thing and involved the audience . you do have to have eyes in the back of your head and watch out for people who stride over the ropes.....

Demmo is what I do (along with interpretation @ same time)and I feel very unqualified to answer your question.

I have visited a number of demmo locations: I have seen from one extream to the other.

Both of these extreams are at well known/established locations. The first has the smith barricaded behind a wood fence AND a large metal screen. Seriously..... You can't get close. <_<:huh:

The other, another well known historical site, positions the VISITORS right next to the anvil while the smith strikes the hot iron. :blink::o a very small shop, indeed! I suppose one could step out-of-doors to watch....... :P

My location had no established policy. I established one myself. I allow the visitors near, but out of harms way from flying sparks and debris. I set artifacts around my area to keep them out, otherwise, they walk right up next to the anvil!

see my pic.

post-21170-0-25065400-1310401415_thumb.j

Good fitting tongs are a safety item too! The ones that box a piece on all sides so they can't "flip" away!

Never just a single rope as kids will often just walk under one set up for adults.

One good demo set up is to have the forge and smith behind the person talking to the crowd and have that person have samples of what the smith is doing. Takes more people though and they have to agree on what's being done/said.

If I have to do a weld at a demo I usually walk around the anvil and do it with my back to the crowd---if they are along 2 edges I may use an assistant in a leather apron as a "human shield".

Twisting is always a crown pleaser!

Thanks for the replays. There will be at a minumum 2 of us in the area when any forging is going on. The site has "given" us a 20x10 foot area. Looks like I'm going to have to cobble up a bench to mount the vice to for some twisting. I was thinking of just doing simple twists with a couple of tongs, but I like the basket idea. And I'm going to have to make a new nail header. I think my old one may have been turned into something else! Hate it when I do that to my "tools!" Next question: This is at the Wisconsin Highland Games. Demo in the kilt or not...Hmmm..... LOL

Crap! Double posted. Don't I look the fool now!

"No, I don't do horses, that is a farrier."
"Yes, I could make you a sword. That will be $2000 down now ( cash please ) and I'll call you when its done, in a year or three."
"Yes, it is hot."...