I Forge Iron

Desperate for coal in NC

I just called Kanye and Son trying to get an appointment next week to pick up some coal. They told me they're out, they lost their primary supplier and haven't come up with a replacement yet. I've got a couple of big projects on deck and I'm down to my last five pounds of coal. If anyone can point me in the direction of another potential supplier in NC or if anyone in the western part of the state has a few hundred pounds they can spare for sale please let me know.

You can switch to corn for a short stint. Estimate 2x the corn as the coal (because of reduced heat content) and go to your local feed store and get a few bags of shell corn. They also sell it as stove fuel. In my limited experience it acts very much the same as coal.

Phil

I'm lucky enough to be right down the street from Cumberland Elkhorn Coal in Louisville, KY. They have Blacksmithing coal in their yard and we used to get them to ship truckloads of bagged coal when I was at the Metal Museum in Memphis. If you call the Louisville office, Rick is the guy that handled the smithing coal.

http://www.ce-coal.com/

Lewis

I just received a phone call from the Chatham chamber of Commerce. The woman was kind enough to do some searching for me and found a supplier of coal. There is one in Wendell, close to you Freeman!
She sent me an email with all the info I will forward the email to you! PM me your email and you can check it out for both of us.

Bridgers coal and farm supply in Wendell.

She had called the company a few minutes ago and they do have coal. I have no idea as to its quality or price, but its about 2.5 hrs from me and about 45 min from you. Yea!

Mark <><

You might check with Fred Pugh in Pittsboro at 919-542-4164. He used to sell a few years ago.

I found this reference from 2010 on ArtMetal for a place in Wendell. I've never checked them out.

Bridgers coal & Farm Supply, 15 North Gypress St, Wendell, NC , 919-365-7000.

Your only 3 1/2 hours away from West Virginia, I used to live in Bluefield, right at the bottom of the state, I got mine from a gas station/shop a few blocks from home for $8/80lbs, If you have a truck, might be an option.

For that price rent a truck

Check with George at StoryBrook farm Chapel hill he may know were to get coal

Thanks to everyone that's responded so far! I've gotten leads on suppliers in NC, VA, KC and PA in addition to an offer to drop off a couple of bags at my house from a fellow a couple hours east of me. It's amazing to me how quickly everyone has responded and I'm humbled by the the generosity displayed, what an awesome community of folks!

I still don't have a solid line on a supplier but given the number of leads I've been given I expect I should be able to find a supplier in short order once I get home. Again, thank you all.

I forgot to mention Grace Fuel Company in Asheville NC< they have stoker coal that does well for me, its not great stuff but you can forge weld with it and not much clinker,
its good enough for me :-p

I think there about a half hour from kane and sons...

• 3 weeks later...

You might check with Fred Pugh in Pittsboro at 919-542-4164. He used to sell a few years ago.

I found this reference from 2010 on ArtMetal for a place in Wendell. I've never checked them out.

I managed to get over to Bridgers in Wendell late last week and they do have coal! It's bituminous, doesn't coke, smokes like a freight train and stinks to high heaven BUT it'll burn hot enough to weld if you keep the air to it. Unfortunately I'm afraid the neighbors will lynch me over the smell if I where to burn this stuff regularly, so I'm still running down leads on a supplier, but if I'm ever *really* desperate I've got a couple bags of this stuff lying around that'll do in a pinch.

I haven't called Fred yet but it's on my short list of things to do tomorrow. Thanks for the lead!

Spoke with Fred this afternoon. He's got bagged and bulk Sewell vein coal for sale at reasonable prices. I'll be heading over to his place early next week to resupply. Thanks a ton!

Spoke with Fred this afternoon. He's got bagged and bulk Sewell vein coal for sale at reasonable prices. I'll be heading over to his place early next week to resupply. Thanks a ton!

Thanks for sharing back your progress. Next time I need to restock, I guess I'll try Fred since he is only about 15 miles from me.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

you can make coal/charcoal if you have a resealable drum, metal pipe, and some wood. you just gotta put a hole big enough to put the pipe through it, put the pipe so that it is in halfway in the barrel, put wood in their, start her up and wait about 24 hours or until it burns out, bust up the bigger chunks of wood with a sledgehammer, and you got some passable coal/charcoal.