I Forge Iron

Power hammer questions

Okay well I want to start looking at power hammers. I don't know what to go for. A tire hammer, little giant 25 or 50, or a air hammer. I would like the Cheapist thing posible but with the best control. I don't know what to get and I'm asking now because it will take me at least a year to save up $2,000 or so. Please Help me.

well all the ones you mentioned are very different from one another, the very best being a prober air hammer for best balance between control and power but most likely also expensive
i this it would help if you tried out a few different power hammers and then decide what you want and then get the best this you can pay for.

go to user setting and change it so your location is show so people can see where in the world you are and maybe you can find some fellow smiths who have the different power hammers and visit for a show n tell and a play?

i have never tried one but have read good things about some of the utility air hammers and seems cheaper then self-contained air hammers and very controllable but only if your based in the US or there around

ohh and look and search in the power hammer section on here lots of info there :)

goodluck with it mate.

Check out the specifications and get some feed back on the spare tire hammers by Clay Spencer. This hammer comes in under 2K but requires your time for the workshop group construction technique.

I just completed one of the hammers in the workshop held in Maine. The class produced 12 hammers in 4 working days at the New England School of Metal Work facility. All the hammers were constructed to Clay's specifications using his own gigs. At the completion of the project the hammers were all inpsected by Clay, fully operationally tested and ready for transport by the start of busines on the 5th day. The facility, operated by Derek Galsier (master blacksmith), is a first class operation and it's fully equipped. Having a facility such as this at our disposal was critical to the success of this project. The experience of the "grouip build" and the quality of the finished product produced are both worth the investment of your time and cash. We had a great time and I believe that all involved were pleased with the outcome.

The tire hammers, as built, have a head (50 lb) to mass ratio (700 lb) of 1:14 and this factor is easily increased by adding your own heavier base plate at the point of installiation. think in terms of working stock 2 in or less.

Clay demonstrated the basics of the hammer operations and some of the tooling of his own manufacture. Despite not being secured to the deck, the hammers performed flawlessly. I'm in the process of mounting my hammer in the shop this week. I did the metal prep and the paint job this weekend and I'm just waiting on the steel plate for the base. On recomendation from other owners, I will mount the hammer on a stall matt (tractor supply $ 40.00) and secure the base structure to the (concrete) deck with masonary lags.

Good luck on your research and if you decide to go with the tire hammer I am confident you will be pleased.

Peter

There are deals out there I don't know where you are located but you can find them ask members of your local group. I found a retired blacksmith he had a champion 1902 powerhammer sitting on his back porch and I got it for a fair price we were both happy. I have used a Clay Spencer hammer it works great and for the price you cant beat it The bonus is you make it and you know how it works. So you will be comfortable with it and will be able to fix it. The air based ones have there advantages. There is an other option start out with a treadle hammer and you can always motorize some models I don't know now much experiences you have but you can grow into what your needs are Some blacksmith like hydraulic presses, and flying press. What is you goal and is a power hammer is that the best choice for you. There are valid uses for all of them.

Okay well I want to start looking at power hammers. I don't know what to go for. A tire hammer, little giant 25 or 50, or a air hammer. I would like the Cheapist thing posible but with the best control. I don't know what to get and I'm asking now because it will take me at least a year to save up $2,000 or so. Please Help me.

Lakeside Forge? Is that you Vince?

Frosty the Lucky.

I was in your shoes a year ago so here are my thoughts.

I bought an air hammer. It wasn't my first choice, but I ran across a good deal on a compressor and hammer, I had the money, I didn't have the time to build something, so I went for it. Due to some unforeseen complications it cost me a good bit more than I had planned.

Air hammers are GREAT on control. Even the home built hammer that I bought. Once you get the feel for them, you can feather them down super easy or really hit hard. However, they are the most expensive rig from what I've seen. You have to have a pretty sizeable compressor on top of the hammer cost, and even the used air hammers are usually much more expensive than the LG's or tires.

I've used both the tire hammers and the LG's some, but not extensively. From my experience, having compared the two side by side, a well tuned tire hammer has more control than the LG. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE LG hammers. They hit fast and are fun to use, but I think you have a bit more control with the tire hammer.

Thhe cost of running is a little less with the tire or LG type hammer. If you get an air rig you will have hammer maintainence and compressor maintainence along with the electrical use of a 5-7 HP motor. With a tire or LG hammer you will only have hammer maintainence and the electrical use of a 1-2 HP motor.
You probably aren't talking about huge chuncks of money for upkeep all the time, but the tire hammer will still be pounding when the compressor head goes out. chaching, chaching, chaching

That's my .02 worth and I hope it helps you decide.

Post your location. You might be near some smiths who have different hammers so you can go visit them and get up close and personal idea for the different style hammers to help you choose which one is best for you. I have 3. A self contained, Kinyon Style, and a 25lb Little Giant. All 3 are different. Don't ask me to choose which on I like best because I don't think I could.

Start searching *now*; I've owned 4 powerhammers so far and the most expensive one was US$700---bought under power from a retiring farrier!---the cheapest was $75 and required one days work to have running.

It's easier to just shell out the money and buy one from a smith; but it's cheaper to find them yourself!

Post your location. You might be near some smiths who have different hammers so you can go visit them and get up close and personal idea for the different style hammers to help you choose which one is best for you. I have 3. A self contained, Kinyon Style, and a 25lb Little Giant. All 3 are different. Don't ask me to choose which on I like best because I don't think I could.

I'm in Rockdale counnty Ga

Start searching *now*; I've owned 4 powerhammers so far and the most expensive one was US$700---bought under power from a retiring farrier!---the cheapest was $75 and required one days work to have running.

It's easier to just shell out the money and buy one from a smith; but it's cheaper to find them yourself!

I would love to find one of those do you have any tips on finding them? Any things that would help me? I live in Rockdale County Ga I don't know if that will help you. I would apreate any tips you might have.

There is the Thomas Powers Anvil Acquisition Method. Anvil can be substituted for whatever you need.

In principle, Ask. Ask everybody. Ask your friends. Ask your neighbors. Ask your preacher. Ask your daughter's elementary school teacher. Everybody. The clerk at the store. The fella your friend brought fishing with you. EVERYBODY.

By asking everybody if they know anybody who has said item the likelihood of someone contacting you back is increased.

Phil

I know we've all added our input to this question before,but I don't mind another run at it: When looking on Craigslist don't just look under one section! Look under Tools,Antiques,General, and Farm. I have bought anvils from all four sections! Found a nice LG25 last year under antiques for $1500. Passed it on to a friend.Needed a motor,which he stuck on and got it going in a day.. Just my addition to the above mentioned "acquisition method"..

Well let me see if I can remember my last "hunt"; it was soon after moving to OH as I had sold my PH so as to not have to move it.

It started at a large labour day fleamarket where a fellow was selling a lot of old blacksmith stuff---the remains of a shop, not antique collectors stuff:
I asked him if he knew where a PH was that might be for sale. he didn't but one of the fellows buying stuff said there was a PH in a welding shop about 15 minutes away. So I drove over there and they had one but were using it; but knew of another about 20 minutes away; He had one but didn't want to give it up; but knew an old farrier who had one, so I tracked down that farrier and he had a 60# champion under power but he was still using it---only leave my name and phone number as he might know of another one. It was getting late so I had to head home and 3 days later I get a call "My wife says I've done been kicked one time too many in the head---I'm retired, come and get the hammer!"

My latest buy was from a lead a student gave me that the smith a couple miles down the road had a hammer for sale. $600 for another 60# Champion in not as good shape and he would deliver it for free and threw in a postvise on the deal to boot.

Part of the trick is to have cash to hand when such a deal comes your way so you can jump on it before they decide otherwise! I have a friend who always seems to pay top dollar for things as he can't wait and doesn't have money saved up for when a good deal comes around. He gets backed into a corner until he has to take a loan out to get something he has to have NOW and then pay top dollar and the interest on the loan.

no my mane us Steven

I'm sure running slow I usually watch threads I've posted to. I didn't really think you were Vince but he's not so computer savy and has a couple power hammers, not to mention he lives about 25 miles from me in the Mat Su Valley, AK. On the other hand I've seen longer shots come home. If long shots didn't occasionaly work out I'd never have found one and that one turned out to be being sold by a knife maker 150 miles south of me and knowing his father got me a little discount. Discounts are good.;) believe me, finding a power hammer in Alaska is a challenge, took me a good 10 years.

Finding a power hammer is like finding any rarish tool/ piece of equipment/ material, etc. You have to put the word out, becoming a regular as a member of the local Counter culture (coffee club) really helps, and have the cash handy, nothing helps dickering like a roll of 100s.

One last tip is to carefully edit and correct any written fliers, posters, etc. you put up. Cear communications can make all the difference and never forget a picture IS worth a thousand words.

Best of luck Steven.

Frosty the Lucky.