I Forge Iron

slack tub ?

Well summer is coming here in the south and my question is for anyone who has an outdoor forge set up, have you had problems with mosquitos laying eggs in your quinch tank? Didn't know if it would be ok to use the cakes you put in standing water to kill the eggs or if the iron in the water from quinching steel would keep them out or not. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks, Randy

I use Mosquito-Dunks in my quench tank. Doesn't seem to affect anything. Then again, I'm not good enough to know when to use salt vs water vs oil vs eye of newt for my quenching.

I did get a pond scum thing once after using this, but a bleach bomb + a dump and rinse took care of that problem and it hasn't come back so I don't think it was related to the Mosquito-Dunks

The mosquito larvae are air breathers, so the dishwashing liquid breaks the surface tension and drowns them. I'm usually not that organized, so if I have a tank full of wigglers I put a hefty squirt of WD40 over the top. I always have some of that in the shop and the oil smothers the little buggers. I bet there's even some biodegradable vegetable oil I could use if I checked the kitchen. (Oh, once I'm in the kitchen I can borrow some dish soap.)

I have also used the mosquito cakes with no ill results.

I generally don't use a quench tank; just let stuff normalize on the desert sand. When I do plan on using one to localize a heat or cool the end of stock so I can hold it with my hand I get haul a 5 gallon bucket of water out and at the end of the day pour it on the tree that shades the shop.

Using A-36 instead of 1018 or wrought iron makes quenching a bit more perilous and the normalization just fine!

I have a hard time just keeping water in the slack tub in summer when it is 100-115 everyday for 3 months. Even the winters are dry, and low in humidity. I haven't seen a skeeter since I moved here back in 05-love it.

Back home in upper CA, my Dad would put some goldfish in the rain water barrels to control skeeters.

I get mice in my slack tub. Smells pretty bad. :blink:

We were getting mice in the water buckets in the goat barn till we got a good barn cat. It used to really bum Buran the Great Pyreneese Mountain Dog out. The cat killing his mice really caused him a dilema. Livestock guardian dogs will guard ANYTHING.:rolleyes:

Frosty the Lucky.

your slack tub is thawed out?

We were getting mice in the water buckets in the goat barn till we got a good barn cat. It used to really bum Buran the Great Pyreneese Mountain Dog out. The cat killing his mice really caused him a dilema. Livestock guardian dogs will guard ANYTHING.:rolleyes:

Frosty the Lucky.

I haven't seen a skeeter since I moved here back in 05-love it.

If you'll buy the air fare I'll get em to the airport. Heard a couple of them argueing on wether or not to carry me back to their place or to eat me where I stood. Knew right then to get outta there!

I have a Dr.Pepper can in my tub and haven't seen larva there in years. No dish soap, no oil, no nothing else just the alum can.

I don't understand your problem, when I was finished my slack tub was so fouled that I dumped it, no skeeter problem. I mostly keep the bucket of water there for me to cool my hand in not for heat treatment or anything like that. I would cool metal sure but not like it was for heat treating, just so I could handle it better. I'm sorry if I offend but I could never under stand having a tub so big it took two men and a small boy to tip it over to change the water. Heck, that's to much like work :o

Would a shot of bleach work as well or pine soil? ?

Even. Turpentine?
Cause I live on the Tennessee river and sure I've added to the problem, by not decon my slack bucket.
Guess anything would work. I'm sure Copenhagen spit ain't working as good as my guest think. They like to spit in a wooden barrel full of water. Once I told them not to. Lol
They do it to aggravate me. On it. Till I steam It up while they are fixing to spit again. That usually stops that little game.
But, I thought about using those disc. Hard for me to tell from where I live. But mines inside a big shop. That remains closed up unless I'm out there.

Sorry for the rambling.

I'd think bleach would cause the iron to rust faster but I don't know.

On the other hand I don't think I'd mess with skeeters at all if they chewed Copenhagen, they can spit anywhere so long as it isn't on me!

Seriously though, I've found a couple drops of oil of most any kind works really well for non-super skeeters.

Frosty the Lucky.

I just don't like to leave standing water, besides mosquitoes, at least out here, it tends to attract honey bees of the "killer" type that need to carry droplets of water back to their hive for cooling purposes. I no longer leave a water basin outside for the dogs because of the bee stings they get from it being covered with bees. This spring alone I have had to have four hives destroyed on my property alone and my neighbor on the left three and the one on the right has had one. It has been a busy bee year so if I had a forge and a slack tub them little blood suckers mosquitoes would be the least of my worries, it would be all the danged killer bees looking for water! :P
Mosquitoes out here carry West Nile Virus, Western EquineEncephalitiss, all not good things to get into your blood so why give them a place to lay eggs and hatch out? In other part of the country there are other nasty diseases such as West Nile Virus,Westernn and Eastern Equine, La Crosse and St. LouisEncephalitiss, Yellow Fever(yes it is still around but rare) and now a few rare cases of Dengue Fever in the deep South. So why not just dump the slack tub and not worry about it being a place of habitation formosquitoe wigglers? Unless you are relying on asolarr still for your water all you need to do is run a hose or carry a couple of buckets water over to re-fill it and then you have nice fresh water to start your session at the forge. Who wants to stick their hand in a slack tub with week old Copenhagen in it? :o

I generally don't use a quench tank; just let stuff normalize on the desert sand. When I do plan on using one to localize a heat or cool the end of stock so I can hold it with my hand I get haul a 5 gallon bucket of water out and at the end of the day pour it on the tree that shades the shop.

Using A-36 instead of 1018 or wrought iron makes quenching a bit more perilous and the normalization just fine!

I just spotted this. I'm curious, what's perilous about quenching A-36 as opposed to other types of steel?