I Forge Iron

World Tour Continues (Part 2)

Ow do all,
arrived in Brooklyn, New York safe and sound. Reunited with my partner in grime Mr marshall, who extends his apologies for not making it with me.
Soooo....

The list of blokes to thanks is a long one.

Gomez!

Or maybe I should call you something else? LMAO!
Steve, I've enjoyed our ribbing each other online over the years tremendously and I enjoyed doing it in person even more, you've a great family and it was a real honour to meet them and spend time with them. I owe your lovely wife a rose for saving my hide and my car keys. I reckon we both wished there was more time, but hey, there's always another time amigo. I had a blast, it was my honour to re christen that old anvil and to meet those incredibly decent folks at the rendezvous, my thanks mate.

Jeremy Knippel.

Sir, you were a gent, I had an absolute ball and learned a hell of a lot by watching you at work. Take my advice, get into those posh city galleries and do more Smithing work man! You're as good as some of the best I've seen with a hammer, and you know I've seen a lot mate. No BS. Big thanks for putting up with me for a whole week, and for introducing me to some real characters, both the Smiths and the folks at Paul Bunyan Land, and of course not forgetting your lady friend (no, not your neighbour LOL) that girl can cook! Only hope I can return the favour one day mate.

Scott, AKA 'Dodge'
Semper Fi indeed, couldn't have asked for a better travelling companion mate, it was great to meet your family, see your shop and share some of your time. Hope I didn't bore you to tears bloke. LOL. Anytime you need a wingman for the trip to Stan's let me know. BTW thanks to Bernie too, too short a stop I know but another time sir. I've made sure the flag has been treated with all due respect, it'll stay in my hand luggage to make sure of it. Sean was extremely impressed with the anvil btw, still trying to convince him its a flame cut and he wants to take your tyre hammer home in his luggage, LOL

Stan AKA 'Trying It'

Can't think of a more apt user name for anyone. Is there anything you won't have a crack at for gods sake bloke? Canned damascus to Parket flooring, anything goes doesn't it? :D What a great place and a great hammer in, you're blessed mate. A lovely family with two generations of girls that can cook fit for the gods, Seriously bloke, after tasting those cookies your girl sent us away with you'd better tell that fellow to get his finger out or he'll have competition for the cook ;)
I enjoyed the visit enormously mate, so many of the Guys from Iforge being there made it truly something special, Richard Thibeau, who is hilarious in person (thanks for the flatter and the beer btw Richard!), Steve Sells, Scott and yourself. Just epic.

I owe everyone an enormous debt of gratitude and I'm sure I'll think of others I should say thanks to but times short so if you're not mentioned no harm intended, I'll get to you :)

IAN

in New York waiting for the 'blow' to come in

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sir Ian, I am glad you were treated hospitably by the crew of yankees you met . On your next trip to this side may I suggest you do the SOUTHERN route, enjoy some really good food, fine company, and if you time your trip to land you in Louisiana for Mardi Gras , the best ,most mind blowing PARTY you can EVER imagine!

HI IAN glade u had a time in usa and here with us in oz well u done it the usa a bit dont forget to send me some photos in dvd of u trip as i did not get any when u here andt tell sean if he could also send a dvd of photos of here as a keep sake of u visit ,
hope the big blow coming dont delay u plane trip to uk if it dose its another adventor , , well hope steeping stones is still a goer and u get a new digs, and all goes as to plain 4u so
YOU GOT
GET HAMMOD AT MOONYS
NOW blowen in usa lololololl ,

Mate, was a good time had by all. Have not contacted Scoop to see if he has any more pics that I can get my hands on. May the road rise to meet you and the wind be always at your back. Crazy Lady says howdy as do all the folks you met while here. Now that the Mousehole has been properly re-born it will ring on till we meet again. Oh yeah, bring Scott with you when you head back this way and also bring Sean.

Greetings all,
I arrived back in London earlier this morning after a very nice 6 hour flight sat next to an extremely pretty polish girl ,who it turns out, has an uncle back in Poland who's a farrier. We swapped numbers. Small world :)
Anyhow, my heartfelt thanks to everyone who raised a flag or lit a fire to help guide me through the amazing part of the world we know as the USA.
I hope I wasn't a pain in anyone's a-s, said anything unintentionally that offended or made more of a nuisance than I was worth. It's my sincere hope that if any of you make it over this way I can be as hospitable as you all were.
Now I hope you'll bear with me while I try to sort out some sort of life again then I'll get to posting some of the places and people I've seen.
Oh and a late breaking but equally big thanks to 'Smithy1' AKA Larry from the forge over at Central Park who managed to round out my trip with some time in the fire at the 11th hour and conclusive proof that superquench CAN and DOES work. IF you know how to use it, which myself and Sean now do :D

Saludos Sir!

HI mate,
yes it's a mix that includes salt, lots of salt. It's washing up liquid, a dishwasher rinse agent like 'jet dry' and salt (not sure of the exact recipe, but it'll be online somewhere). The trick (as shown to me by Larry) is to quench your mild steel by plunging it into the quench mix in the same motion as using a sink plunger (up and down) instead of a stirring motion. Repeat the heat and quench twice in all.
The photo shows the parent bar stock split in two at the end (done hot) and two bolts cut (cold) with a chisel made from the same parent stock and then quenched in the mix

post-330-0-96424500-1314927477_thumb.jpg

Oh, and this is the first piece of work since I got back to the UK. Having hauled ten pounds of (Mule Team 20) Borax back with me I figure I'll be doing some forge welding to see how it performs against sharp sand so I'll need a flux spoon...

:D

post-330-0-36343100-1314928108_thumb.jpg

post-330-0-80259200-1314928124_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi mate,
not yet but things are progressing in the right direction. Phase two works on the Farm have begun so by the end of May next year there should be a new workshop to move into, at the minute the old one is surrounded by Harris panel fencing and a lot of empty ground but I can still get in there to work :)

• 3 months later...