I Forge Iron

World Tour Continues (Part 2)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All, not long to write, in a library in Omaha, Nebraska. Have a new hire car for the next 21 days...
Hoping to get to see Jr Strasil, Scott (Dodge), Steve (Ten Hammers), Jeremy Knipple and anyone else within the mid states that is willing to give me a call on 530 936 4121.
After the 21 days I'm on a greyhound bus for New York. I have sat nav so get in touch by phone with an address or place of interest and I'll try and check it out.
Might not get to the florida area but I'll try, depends on feul costs. Not got a million dollars to spend sadly.

Hope to get some feedback from y'all

IAN

I'm at Jr's place in Falls City, Nebraska. He's getting very much into the woodworking side of things and has some beautiful work in the place. Heading up to ten hammers for friday evening for a bit of a forge in with him and some of the guys he knows (on yer Gomez!) and then up to Jeremy K's for a spell (top bombing Jeremy!) Finally looping back down to see Dodge (Semper fi Scott!) So the next week or two is all the iforge lads. Cheers blokes, y'all came good for me, appreciated.

Oh and today I met with a fellow some of you might have heard of..... Harlan 'Sid' Suedmeier owner of The Little Giant power hammer company :) Yes I took photo's...
Oh and I got given a few lapel badges and fridge magnets I might give away to those I reckon derserving LOL

This is a call out for Stan (trying it) I 'might' be able to make your hammer in on the 19th,20th,21st August mate. It's not a billion miles from Omaha and depending on how long the guys above will put up with me and the river crossings it'd mean driving back into Omaha either sunday night or eraly monday to get the rental car back in time. I'm booked on a greyhound monday night at 8.45pm to go to new york for my last few days. My numbers above mate so give me a call and we'll see what we can sort out amongst everyone.

Saludos!

I do miss the edit function. Tell Ian to hang on to his cap. It may get blown off in a breeze. Glad to have had the opportunity to let him experience a midwest thunderstorm and be able to help bring an ( at least 250 year old ) anvil of English manufacture into the 21st century. Sincerely hope someone got some pics of that. Thank you Frank Turley for the anvil. Thank you ZW and Ricochet for the transportation of the anvil from Franks to me.

As a post script edit (yes I found it) I also hope that Crazy Lady's pastries and bread have kept you fed. Joe and Billies MEAD will keep you watered. Adios Fester.

I enjoyed Ian's visit here, altho it was compounded by my having to take my wife Cookie to the ER the day Ian got here, and then they admitted her and they let her out the day (Friday) Ian left, Ian did get to go up and look at my cluttered and dirty smith shop, it hasn't operated as a smith shop since Jan, 2006 when I injured my lower back really good. Ian did get to see some of my railing work at a couple of local church's and I took him to the Brown County AG Museum in Hiawatha, Kansas to see the brick forge with the Hofi style thru the wall Flue I used with it.

Thanks for stopping Ian, I wish things could have worked out better, but Mother Nature and Father Time have their way off intruding into our lives at inopertune times.

Jr. and Cookie Strasil
irnsrgn and Mrs Irn

Hey Steve,
after goolgling, I found that may be the best route both ways as I can find nothing clear about how much of I-29 is passable and I can't find a better route that doesn't back track several miles (I-35 to KC)

Ian, I left you a message... we have a bed for you here to take the road off! :)

Kewl. Considering Messrs Louis and Clark had to deal with the Missouri River, you boys and a 4 lane highway ( tell Ian that our 4 lanes are 2 lanes in one direction ) will make good time but geographics will just have to be what is the best route. At least you will have air conditioning and no portage around obstacles. Tell Ian that he will pass the same exit he left here from when he traveled up to Jeremy's. Considering he got to forge on an anvil made in his country centuries ago it will be interesting to see if he travels past the location he forged at ( within 10 miles ) 2 more times before his green card expires.

Ian arrived in St.Cloud, Minnesota Monday (8th) night (a site of a hammer-in for Central Minnesota Blacksmiths) and we toured a couple shops on the way to my place on Tuesday. I got Ian settled in and talked bs till the wee hours. Wednesday Ian rode with on a couple portable welding jobs I had to do. Thursday and Friday we did some misc. forging to pass the time. Sat and Sun we will demo at a pioneer days type venue. Monday will be some more touring (a shop a friend owns). That's the plan so far. I believe he's havin' a good time - JK

hi ian and all fellow smith, ian hows the smithing , visits going , hope i see you been looking about the usa, well done will u be going to blacksmith wars i hope so i wish i could have been able to gety over but i am still on the gates but down hill run now its ben a job and a have but i am ok with it and mitchy been helping but i dont want another large project i am not as young as you need to be to take on a project like this , well ian good to see u enjoying the smiddies from USA , CU
Glenn moon MOONY

Ian, has stayed in Minnesota, for a week now and leaving this morning. I hope I have been able to give him something to talk about and remember for a long time. We've have many discussions on blacksmithing and he has met some other members of the Central Minnesota Blacksmiths group which I am most active with. I have been chatting with Ian for approximately 6 yrs on the net, so it has been great to finally put a voice and a face with the text. I would encourage anyone who has the opportunity to spend time with other smiths, whether local, national,and or international to do so. This has been a very enjoyable week for me to host an Englishman. I hope for an ever enjoyable continuation of your worldly tour in the US, - Cheers JK
post-280-0-53424800-1313501962_thumb.jpg
Myself (left) and Ian @ This Old Farm (Show Days) in Brainerd, Minnesota

post-280-0-79090000-1313501989_thumb.jpg
Ian's first go at black powder shooting @ This Old Farm (Show Days) in Brainerd, Minnesota

post-280-0-98757400-1313502009_thumb.jpg
Ian giving my air hammer a go

post-280-0-39980300-1313502027_thumb.jpg
Ian tuning a marshmallow roasting fork (thanks for the fork Ian :D )

post-280-0-18561600-1313509455_thumb.jpg
Parting gift to Ian ( I scored a bit of bronze stock from one of our stops and this was the first ever for me working bronze, I may have to dabble with it some more)