I Forge Iron

WOW I just got a quote for $7,500 for the year, 1 mil Liability as a blacksmith manufacturer, then quoted only $1,600 for doing demo's at Fair's, but then rejected my application completely when they saw I make blades, so K&K INS. is out, Does anyone have recommendations?

Steve,
Tidewater blacksmiths uses The Hartford $475. per year for 2 mil liability. We just got our new bill Here's the info we have; The Hartford, 301 Woods Park Drive, Clinton, NY 13323 1-866-467-8730.

Virginia Bureau of Insurance, 1-804-371-9185 or (VA residents only) 1-800-552-7945.

Also one of our members says he uses Nation Wide said they have a Blacksmith policy for around $200 per year .
I don't know about the blades though.

Society Insurance in Fond du Lac, WI
I have the shop and contents covered as well as all my product to, from and at shows..some tool coverage for installs. Standard aggregate for 1 Mil, plus some other features.
Just under $2,000 per year...and increasing 10% per year for three past years.
They cover some teaching in shop.
No issues with knives/swords.

Got a quote from another company (forget the name) for $5,600 or so for the same coverage.

The Hartford several years ago was more expensive, but I'll try again.
ABANA was to have a policy carrier as well, but I have not looked into it.

State Farm will not do blacksmith shops.

Ric

I have been with ETNA for the last 3 years. My rate on a 1 mil. liability is $1498.00 I am getting a quote from Industrial Coverage through ABANA now. I should have it next week.

You've had better luck than I.....I'm an ABANA member and I applied several times for quote from them, online, through mail, and by phone. No response or returned communication of any sort. I can only assume that because I said I'm working approx. 2 days a week and making relatively little income from the activity that I'm not worth even talking to. Still, gotta start somewhere.

You've had better luck than I.....I'm an ABANA member and I applied several times for quote from them, online, through mail, and by phone. No response or returned communication of any sort. I can only assume that because I said I'm working approx. 2 days a week and making relatively little income from the activity that I'm not worth even talking to. Still, gotta start somewhere.

Well I haven't got a response yet and called again yesterday. We will see what happens. I did talk to a agent last week though.

Ray Nager is on the board of ABANA and please take the time and write him if you do not get a response he was very concerned when I told him my experience and said it would be straighten out

Senft, Well the ABANA insurance company Industrial Coverage got back to me today with a quote. It was $1249 a year. A savings of $249 over my last policy same coverage. For those who are wondering it's 1 mil. liability and also covers shop, equipment, and demos. They also had a policy for just 1 mil. liability for $429 a year.

Ray Nager is on the board of ABANA and please take the time and write him if you do not get a response he was very concerned when I told him my experience and said it would be straighten out

What was your experience??

Actually (this was last year) after sending all the forms in to them (ICC) in a letter with delivery confirmation as a last resort, and still getting no response I emailed ABANA office and got no reply. I'd like to pursue but the before the sale difficulties I've seen so far have me a bit concerned.

I use Baker Agency in New Castle, IN 800-486-7316 or www.bakeragency.net. They're with Indiana Farmers Mutual Insurance Company. I'm listed as Forging Work. $668 a year with $1,000,000 liability coverage.

Full replacement of tools and shop building as well?

Ric

steve do you weld? try getting a quote as a welding shop just an other option down here they do not recognize a blacksmith shop

Baker Ins. said NO way, same thing, Weapons are too risky. Then the agent asked the underwriter "what about anything with a point?" or a hockey stick, or a car, following the too much risk with the logic of a person can be hurt by it...

Still one more to wait for reply.

• 4 months later...

Good morning all

I was ask to demo at a newly organized antique fair. When the promoter checked with her insurance agent about adding a blacksmith to the event they wanted twice the amount for general liability. This has killed the deal unless I can come up with my own single event coverage. I demo at several other similar venues and additional liability insurance has never been an issue. Any who, anyone out there carrying liability insurance for demos, how much and with whom? I found a couple of general references in the forum, however no specifics. Any help would be appreciated. -tks grant

http://www.iforgeiro...__fromsearch__1

http://www.iforgeiro...__fromsearch__1

Edit - I started this out as a new post. When I searched for "demo insurance" this thread didn't come up. Thanks to whomever added this post to this thread it certainly belongs here.-grant

• 4 months later...

Good morning all

It is to be hoped this post finds you healthy and prosperous.

I am in the process of trying to obtain general liability and content insurance for the shop and thought I would bump this thread and see if there were any updates. Steve what did you finally do? Failing this I absolutely need DEMO liability insurance for the summer, mid May through Labor Day. Thanks for your help -grant

$ 1,100 for 500,000 general Liability only. It took my agent forever to find one willing becaue of the weapons issue. If you dont do anything that may be thought of as a weapon, you are likely going to find it much easier to get insured and I did, I started with my Home owners that also carried my cars.

Good morning all

insurance update

I got a quote from the agency that advertises in The Anvils Ring, Industrial Coverage Corp, for liability coverage of 1 mil each occurrence with a 2 mil general aggregate for $425 per year. This covers the shop and demos. In addition there is 2 mil for products and completed operations, 1 mil for damage to rented premises and several other related items. The agency wrote the liability insurance through Hartford. I though it was a great deal and in line what what others on this thread have reported. There were no questions about what is being manufactured, so the weapon's issue was not an issue and although they advertise in the ABANA publication no-one ask if I was a member. I did need to stay after them, calling every couple days, but they were very cordial, helpful, and understanding. -grant